I READ GREAT BOOKS WHILE I'VE BEEN AWAY

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

This is hands down one of the best books I have ever read. The writing is immaculate; it reminds me of Lolita for some odd reason. The way scent is captured and the characterization. There's a unique cast of characters, and it's thrilling to see how Grenouille impacts their lives; my favorite interaction is with Baldini because of all the scent and perfume descriptions. 

I couldn't put the book down for the most part, but I did get bored in some places (the cave and return to society.) I enjoyed getting a glimpse of his "scent memory palace," but it was a boring pause to the plot. In retrospect, I understand the purpose it serves to the plot. These parts are like the fun details that make a painting exciting. 

Grenouille is such an atrocious character in all the best ways. He's sick (read this however you want because it works both ways.) 

5/5

Kitchen

I'm not sure how this ended on my TBR, but I'm glad it did. Even though I say I will expand my readings from the United States and Japan, I somehow end up back in Japan. 

The writing is beautiful. The first story tackles grief, overcoming loss, and rediscovering the little joys in life. The writing is simple, straightforward, and streamlined, but it conveys everything the author wants. Props to both the author and the translator!

The first story is about meeting people during your darkest time and having them bring light back into your life. Once you are back in the light, you feel compelled to give back to the people that helped you in their hour of need. 

When I was forced to come to terms with the sudden ending and second (unrelated) story I was not so pleased. I want to see what happens next after the first story. It's a sweet ending and my nosey-ass wants to know more.

I took a break from the novel, despite its short length. When I got back, I was glad I gave the other story another chance. 

I was pleasantly surprised by the magical realism twist. It's fun and unexpected. Although it has nothing to do with kitchens, it's another great story about loss and grief. It's also about bonding with people that have experienced loss and overcoming grief. 

A sweet collection of stories. 

4.75/5

Why did I dock the .25? I don't think it's as great as Perfume.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's discuss!