REREADING BLACK BIRD MANGA TO NOT FINISH KOKORO

The title says it all. I'm currently reading Kokoro by Natsume Soseki, don't know what provoked me, but I am slightly regretting it. I'm also taking Japanese over the summer to finish up my degree; part of the class is talking to students in Japan, which is nerve-racking and an absolute shit-show on my part. During one of the sessions, I learned that Kokoro is one is the books students read during Middle School or High School (I don't remember which one,) which made me think of a fantastic challenge: reading the language curriculum of other countries!

Unfortunately, it's not the most exciting novel. Some moments capture the human experience well and resonate with me. However, the plot is often dull. In fact, calling it a plot is an exaggeration and a compliment to the author. I'm not a fan of how the author teases secrets but never reveals them in a way that is equivocal to the build-up. The author leads us to a foreign destination without a map or a sense of direction. It's unsatisfying and so dull. If I felt sympathy for the characters, I would be able to continue with a little more vigor, but I feel absolutely nothing towards any of them. The only thing keeping me going is the sense of accomplishment I will experience upon completing this book. 

I don't know what compelled me to reread Black Bird, but I did, for the third(?) time... I haven't even read Kaichou Wa Maid-Sama that many times! Maybe I'll reread it up next... I know it holds up. It doesn't matter if some of the drama is unnecessary because I love Usui and Misa so much. 

This time rereading, I couldn't help but think of this scene from The Golden Girls.

Condoms are the best form of plot armor. Did they not consider this at all?! For someone who is so perverted, surrounded by so many perverts, and is a huge pervert, why does Kyo not know about condoms? I'm sure Buzen knows about it, or else he'd be a broke from all the child support. 

Misao and Kyo's relationship has questionable aspects: power imbalance, sex/affection to solve issues, etc. I originally had age-gap listed, but I'm sure everyone who has seen my manga recs knows I don't have a problem with that... That's my RED FLAG. The age gap between Yuri/Yoh was weird, and the future arc with Denki. That's a little too much. 

Everyone has an issue with the female lead, and I agree. Misao isn't always the brightest, but I think she means well and is just compassionate. I think many people just hate characters that are overly empathetic to the point of stupidity: Sakura, Misao, etc. They can be super annoying, but it's nice having a character that cares for others.

My favorite thing about this series is the art. I think all the men in the reverse harem are drawn beautifully. They cater to everyone: the older man, the bad boy, the pretty boy, the aloof one, etc. Kyo's character design is so handsome. Especially his true form with the long hair; it's so otherworldly. His little blushes are cute too.

Speaking of cute. THE TRIPLETS. Well, just Taro. I would die for Taro. Absolutely adorable, a precious bean. I think it's just my baby fever. He does housework, cooks, and gardens! When he went into battle with that fierce look... He's just a baby! Jiro is whatever for me. Saburo is only cute because he's an airhead; I'm not a fan of what he becomes after the time skip. Misao is also adorable too, though she rotates between the same faces and emotions.

The plot is very romance-centric. Most of the drama is unnecessary. I particularly disliked the exorcist arc, but I can see its purpose in developing their relationship. The Sho arc also felt superfluous. I understand it's to consolidate power and set up the next arc, but it was convoluted, and I fast-forwarded through that.

The entire story is a lot of fighting for power, love, and other cliches. It's not anything new. I believe the only "concept" that is new is the Senka concept, which I thought was intriguing. I would have loved to see more Yokai/demons and other figures in Japanese mythology because the art is excellent, and I'm most interested in these aspects of Japanese culture. (LET ME SEE KOGIN AGAIN!)

Loyalty and allegiance are also enjoyable aspects of the story. 

Overall, Black Bird is a classic that had a chokehold on readers like me in high school. It's nostalgic. It's a 6/10 story, 9/10 art, and 8/10 for entertainment. It'll make you laugh, cry, and blush.

Hopefully, I'll finish Kokoro next week. I have about 70-80 pages left. Once I'm done with it, I will be reading Release by Lucy Christopher, which I think will arrive in the mail next week too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's discuss!