PAIN AND K-POP IDOLS | BLACK WINTER MANHWA REVIEW



Black Winter
by Jeong Ina

    On a dark winter night, a young boy was cursed and a young girl had sinned.
    One cold winter night, Haesa seeks shelter in an old house in the mountains, where she meets a slumbering stranger named Yuan. That's when tragedy begins to befall Haesa’s friends, plunging the young girl into a sad and lonely youth. Ten years later, as Yuan starts to regain his lost memories, he realizes that this cursed fate goes back much further, to a time only he can recall. But with sinister forces at play, will they be able to break the toxic cycle and step into the warmth of spring?

I haven't been reading books lately because of all the mangas and manhwas out there. I picked up Black Winter because I saw a good-looking guy on the cover.

Once I began reading, I was heartbroken.

Oh my goodness, the poor children! SO MUCH ANGST! The author is not satisfied until you're crying and an empty shell of what you used to be. It's too much. If you're a masochist, read it!


You have orphan Haesa (lower left), who is abused by her aunt and uncle. She has to go to the mountain every day and collect herbs to "earn her keep." She is physically and verbally abused, her "caretakers" do not feed her sometimes, and she sleeps in an unheated room during the winter. The kindness other adults show her is a nice change of pace. She finds solace in her group of friends, but even this gives me and her pain.

Two brothers, Muho (top left) and Muha (lower right), are the sons of a prominent general. They are nobles that befriend commoners, Haesa and Hwaye (who look very similar.)

Hwaye (top right), despite also being a commoner, lives comfortably with her grandma. She and Muho like each other; she aspires to move up from her commoner status to be suitable for Muho. It's so cute, until... you'll have to read for yourself.

FYI, that guy on the cover is not part of the friend group; his name is Yuan. There are not K-Pop idols, but the men are pretty spicy-looking. 

************

I think the art is absolutely gorgeous. All the characters are beautiful. I don't watch historical K-Dramas often, nor do I research traditional Korean garb or history. It was refreshing and eye-opening to see what Joseon society would be like. 

That being said, there are so many stories being told at once. I am invested in most characters and care to see what happens to them, but it's hard to keep track. Plus, the author can't predict what I want. I want to know more about Hwaye, but they're giving me more Haesa than I want or need. 

Yes, Haesa had it tough as a child, and we sympathize with that. But, Hwaye... compassion, sacrifice, strength, resilience, etc. We love that! Much of her story is shrouded in mystery in what I have read so far. This is also my feelings towards Yuan.

The author has so many interesting stories to tell and mysteries to unravel, and for the most part, they do a great job at teasing readers. I want to know more! What happens next?! Will they ever find happiness?!

While the author does a great job of teasing us, the pacing is dull and slow at times. It's essential to understand the backstory, but they did it at such a bad time: right after that shocking cliffhanger. I would change the order a little, but every aspect of the story is important. I was disappointed while reading because it's not the information I wanted to learn/the mystery I wanted to unravel.

The author really knows how to play with your feelings. I was crying at reunions and seething at manipulative, toxic villains. The characters are complex and realistic. Some people might be angry with certain characters' actions and words, but I support the author's decision because it makes sense.

Despite being long, super angsty, and will manipulate your feelings, I recommend it. 

What are you reading?
Share some recs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's discuss!