ABSOLUTELY DOMINATING MY READING CHALLENGE | JANUARY WRAP-UP

I need to thank Viz's online Jump subscription service, the New York Public Library, and Queens Public Library. I devoured this challenge, but then again, I have very low expectations (45 books). I'm keeping things realistic and managing expectations. 

Jujutsu Kaisen 12-18

I binged the series on Viz (which has a really crap interface, btw.) I finished the Shibuya Arc. I thought the beginning was great, but then it ended REALLY suddenly. As usual, I had trouble reading/comprehending some of the drawings. There's a lot of motion and I think it would've been drawn and conveyed better. I'm reading this series because of the plot, concept, and characterization. All the female characters are well-written and badass, see Maki. 

Back to criticizing the art: I couldn't fully appreciate Maki's tiny arc because the art got lazy. I understand it's action-packed, but it's genuinely looked like the publisher made a mistake and published the draft!!!! Where is the editor?! Am I the only one with this unpopular opinion? My friend agrees with me but they're my friend... Overall, 4.25/5

Shinobi Quartet 3-8

I've read part of this series ages ago and stopped. I do not know why I picked it up again. I like the art style most of the time. The plot and ending are whatever. Overall, 3/5


This Love is Strawberry Sweet 1-2

Of all the things I mention in this post, this is the only thing worth reading. The story is about a 20-something-year-old girl who fills in for her injured grandfather at his strawberry farm. While learning the ropes, she falls in love with a 30-something-year-old strawberry farmer. It's so cute and not frustrating at all. It's age-gap, which seems to be the only mange genre I read... But everyone is legal! Hooray! 4.75/5

Dr.STONE 1-5

I was down for this series UNTIL after the games/when they explained the origin of the village. This is too much/cuckoo bananas. Before they even fully explained, I said no and ditched the series. It's a shame because I love the science aspect of the series. The fan service... something always strategically covering places. Why not just NOT draw them in those compromising positions. 1.75/5

Emma

You can read my review here.

Ruffage

Some Youtuber, I forgot which and am too lazy to check, said that this is a great beginner cookbook. I agree to some degree. It gives great advice on how to select vegetables, shop local, background on where the food comes from, making the most out of the pantry, etc. However, the tips aren't exactly groundbreaking: "as long as they look good and don't have marks" (a paraphrase). If you're like me trying to find the secret to selecting the perfect watermelon so your mother doesn't force you to eat shit watermelons the whole summer, this is not the book. 2/5


The Modern Larder

I absolutely love the breakdown pantry items. It made me go online window-shopping for spices and other ingredients. This section makes readers excited to try new flavors and recipes. The recipes on the other hand are also kind if whatever. Nothing really made my mouth water or inspired me to cook. However, I would still consider purchasing it. 4/5

SpyXFamily 1

As you can see, I only read one volume. I don't have the intention of continuing. My trash tastes strike again. 1/5

Excuse me, I'm gonna go watch some more Dance Moms. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's discuss!