POSSIBLY THE BEST COHO BOOK EVER



It Ends with Us
by Colleen Hoover
Atria Books | August 2, 2016
DON'T READ SYNOPSIS! Best to go in blind.
        Lily hasn’t always had it easy, but that’s never stopped her from working hard for the life she wants. She’s come a long way from the small town in Maine where she grew up-she graduated from college, moved to Boston, and started her own business. So when she feels a spark with a gorgeous neurosurgeon named Ryle Kincaid, everything in Lily’s life suddenly seems almost too good to be true.
        Ryle is assertive, stubborn, maybe even a little arrogant. He’s also sensitive, brilliant, and has a total soft spot for Lily. And the way he looks in scrubs certainly doesn’t hurt. Lily can’t get him out of her head. But Ryle’s complete aversion to relationships is disturbing. Even as Lily finds herself becoming the exception to his “no dating” rule, she can’t help but wonder what made him that way in the first place.
        As questions about her new relationship overwhelm her, so do thoughts of Atlas Corrigan-her first love and a link to the past she left behind. He was her kindred spirit, her protector. When Atlas suddenly reappears, everything Lily has built with Ryle is threatened.
I have A LOT to say about this book and they're ALL GOOD!

This is, hands down, the best CoHo book I've read. It's powerful. It's beautiful and cute [it warmed my heart and made me smile on certain places]. It packs a punch. It leaves you happy and a little dead inside. It's so realistic and relatable. It's little bits of her other books entwined into one AMAZING, visceral book.

It has the darkness of Too Late. It has the tiniest hint of Hopeless. There's a warm, nurtured, happy, welcomed and beautiful feeling that Slammed gave me. It's has this intense romance from Ugly Love. (Ugly Love is an apt description for this book and all of her books to be honest). There's this truthfulness and honestly from Confess.

CoHo's books have always been great; however, the guys in her books were a little too perfect for me, so that's one issue I had from her books. They always knew what to say and they're always Mr. Perfect/Mr. Nice-Guy/Mr. Right. They might not always start out that way, but they eventually get there because they love this person so much-the cliche that love changes someone. It Ends with Us is NOT like that, so don't expect it and I hope I didn't spoil anything for you. It also doesn't have dual/multiple point of views, which really surprised me because it's a CoHo staple.

Not every relationship is unicorns, rainbows and glitter. Colleen captures that in this book. It's personal to her, you'll learn more if you read her author's note in the book, and certain readers out there. Because it's so personal, real and visceral, it leaves such an impact. I'm still not okay, emotionally and mentally, and it's been 8-10 hours since I finished the book. It was crazy reading it. I can't even imagine it happening in real life. It's so crazy and scary to see people go through horrible relationships. This book was a window for me. I saw some things I can't unsee. I'm a part of it now. Although it's so dark and scary [the relationship], Lily's strength prevailed. Lily is so strong and smart. Reading her story made me think, I want to be her [I want to have her strength]. She had this light and glowed incandescently, you just can't bring her down! It lightened the heavy book.

Even though this book tackles a dark subject, there's still a light to it. For example: Lily's strength, as mentioned above. There's also the beautiful and adorable backstory to Lily and Atlas. It's heartbreaking, but so beautiful because of all the kindness and care. That's honestly one of the best parts of the book. It's also told in this quirky way because Lily addresses her diary entries to Ellen DeGeneres. The friendship between Alyssa/her bubbly personality is also really light. It has a fun and easygoing dynamic.

I loved the writing in this book. It was relatable to me because there was "slang". Ex. You roasted your father. Something, FTW (for the win)! It was actually well executed and didn't seem like  your parent trying to fit in and being embarrassing, lol. EWWW!!!! IT'S MY STEPDAD GARY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's discuss!