REWATCHING STUDIO GHIBLI II

I can't help but compare Castle in the Sky to Nausicaä, which I watched and reviewed a couple of weeks ago. Because Nausicaä is still fresh in my mind, I realized how similar they are in terms of art, story, and themes; however, I can say Nausicaä is the better movie out of the two, mainly because I was not left with too many questions and plot holes. This will have minor spoilers, so beware!

The similarities:
The title sequences are similar and are integral to the story-telling/your understanding of the plot. I particularly like Castle in the Sky's "wood-cut" version. The gliders and other technology are virtually identical. One would think that since Miyazaki's a plane enthusiast, he would have various innovative aircrafts. Both also have windmills, flying sequences with many fluffy clouds, and fox-squirrels. The most disappointing similarity is the heroines are special snowflakes. Lastly, Laputan robots and the God/Giant Warriors are basically the same in my eyes: large creatures with immense destructive power.

My questions:
How do the pirates know about the crystal? I know they intercede messages, but when did they decide to?
Why is Pazu letting out doves and playing the horn so early in the morning? He's waking up all the villagers with his horn and bird shit. Also, I am all about experimenting to prove a hypothesis, but aren't there better and safer options to jump off of than through a building?! 
What happened to the Laputans, and how did they develop their technology? Not everyone has read the book, so how could they have educated viewers more without detracting from the storytelling? I know the movie said that they spent too much time away from earth and humanity, but I don't feel that is sufficient.
Why does Muska know how to read the ancient language? Did his lineage ensure education? Why couldn't he find Laputa himself?

It sucks that I can't watch these movies through a child's lense again because now I am hung up with these little things, plus it's ruining my childhood and appreciation of Ghibli films. In the documentary, Miyazaki acknowledges the unconventional storytelling, and says that it's logical to a child, which makes me feel somewhat better. 

The art is anachronistic. I've read somewhere that the story takes place somewhere in the 18th century, which I can accept because the clothing is indicative of that, but the hi-tech is throwing me in a loop. Although it has me in a tizzy, the anachronism creates a timelessness: it is its own world, and you can appreciate it at any time. While on the topic of clothes, I think the pink pants are iconic! The art is flat and nothing like the art I associate with when someone mentions Ghibli. It still has the quirkiness and imagination, but it's not meeting my expectations yet. I do realize this movie was made in the 80s and that the animation technology is not as advanced as today.
I think I am mainly saying this because everyone is throwing this word around and I want to fit in, Pazu is a simp. He might simply be a nice guy, but he seems to have a motive. Viewers learn about Pazu's dream to find Laputa to prove his father wasn't a liar very early on. Sheeta comes along with this weird stone around her neck that makes her float, people after her to find Laputa, etc., how convenient! He goes through such lengths to the point where I can't use being a nice guy to justify it. I don't want to say he's doing it out of love considering everything happens quickly and at a young age. Not into the young love, but I'm somehow okay with Whisper of the Heart... Also, I can't use friendship to justify because, as much as I love my friends, I don't want to go through the wringer like that! 

While they basically destroyed the village, I love Dola and her pirate gang. At first, I didn't like Dola because I thought she was greedy and opportunistic, but I started to love her character because she's an intelligent, strong, and capable woman. She is the only woman on the aircraft, but everyone listens to her, granted the pirates are man-children. She is a force to be reckoned with! I think she's a great role model for young kids, to a certain degree, because of her authority. You can't help but love her more once you see her kind side.
From now on, I will include my rankings at the bottom.
1. Nausicaä
2. Castle in the Sky

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's discuss!