REWATCHING STUDIO GHIBLI I

After watching the four-part documentary called "10 Years with Hayao Miyazaki" (you can watch it for free too with English subtitles here, I highly recommend it), I have a newfound respect and understanding for Miyazaki's films. I will be omitting Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle, Whisper of the Heart, and Grave of Fireflies from my list, due to the fact I have rewatched them previously, and still have a lasting impression of them. Also, I don't want to break my heart, again, watching the last movie of what I just listed. I will be rewatching Ghibli Films in the order they were released. If you are a die-hard Studio Ghibli fan, I think you know what I'm about to review...
NausicaƤ of the Valley of the Wind was a box-office success that put Hayao Miyazaki on the map, and deservedly so! Before the rewatch, I had no recollection of the story because I watched it during my childhood, and the movie was in Cantonese. Many of the nuances were lost to me. 

As a young adult that is more knowledgeable than the elementary-age version of me, I have an immense appreciation for this movie. I am not fond of comparisons, but this movie shares a similar theme and message to my favorite Ghibli film, Princess Mononoke. These two films emphasize humans living in harmony with nature and other humans. They both show that humans are the cause of their own sufferings, and failing to accept their mistakes causes them to suffer more. A person's fear due to their lack of understanding makes them violent, and violence leads to more strife thus, one should opt for peace and non-violence. Viewers are immediately drawn to the heroine NausicaƤ because she seeks peace and the secrets of the toxic jungle. Her constant advocacy for non-violence, despite all the obstacles, is truly admirable. In addition, there is a quality to her that suggests she has reached enlightenment, some may call this special-snowflake syndrome. 

I will be avoiding giving a summary of the story mainly because I want everyone to go into the movie blindly, in the event you choose to watch this movie.

Miyazaki is a spectacular and imaginative storyteller that makes sure everything about his story is impactful. He is capable of eliciting strong emotions, like anger, but he equally capable of making viewers sympathize with his characters. Each frame of the picture is highly detailed, and each line has a purpose. The insects are frightful, but they have such a unique look that is demonstrative of his imagination. The flora is also spectacular because it's eerie and alluring at the same time. The clothing and architecture are unique too.

I don't understand why I didn't like this movie as a child because it has a great heroine, an impactful message, a meaningful story, and great art. As much as I enjoyed this film, I cannot say it was my favorite, probably because I keep comparing it to his later works. I don't know what it is, but something is missing. Maybe something was lost when he adapted his manga to a film. The lore logically makes sense, but it is not completely developed/there is a hole(?). There is so much to say and do, but with limited time. 

Overall, it's a great film, but I am not blown away to the point where I question, why didn't I like this movie before, or why was I such an idiot? It didn't leave me in shock after the revelation like when I watched Whisper of the Heart. 
Have you watched this movie? If you did, do you agree with me, or do you think I'm crazy?!

2 comments:

  1. I am a big Ghibli fan! My favorite will always be Kiki's Delivery Service. I love the art/animation style in Ghibli films and they never fail to touch my heart. I have yet to see NausicaƤ of the Valley of the Wind yet, though! I am now adding it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it! I need to rewatch Kiki soon because I forgot most of the plot.

      Delete

Let's discuss!