REWATCHING STUDIO GHIBLI III

When I think of My Neighbor Totoro, I always have warm and fuzzy feelings because I believe this is the first Studio Ghibli movie I have ever watched as a child. In Cantonese, I use this movie metonymously to represent the production company itself. Totoro is a beloved character that's been made into plushies, t-shirts, puzzles, and other merch which I probably own. Since everybody, including myself loves this character, I was afraid to rewatch this movie. 
 
While I don't find the message and theme as profound as his other works, My Neighbor Totoro excels at creating beautiful relationships. I loved Satsuki and Mei's relationship with their father, who's just trying his best to take care of his children while his wife is in the hospital. I loved how he interacted with his kids. I absolutely adored Kanta's crush on Satsuki because it's so awkward, and he reminds me of myself when I had a crush in elementary school. While those relationships brightened my day, Satsuki's relationship with her little sister Mei shined the brightest. As a younger sibling, I related to Mei's brattiness on certain occasions, and it made me remember when my wealth of energy would get me in trouble. Satsuki's love for her little sister reminds all younger siblings of their older siblings; while we will fight, our siblings are always there for us. Their sisterhood will move even those with cold hearts. 

The takeaway I got from this movie was, help others, and others will help you back. I also learned that rural communities are friendly and tight-knit. Other than being cute, creating realistic relationships, and possibly a way for Miyazaki to relive his childhood, this movie didn't blow me away. I was near tears at the end, anyone would want to cry, but there isn't an immense impact. It may be because I am taking it at face value/not interpreting it enough, but it's simply a cute movie marketed for kids. 

1. Nausicaä
2. My Neighbor Totoro
3. Castle in the Sky

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's discuss!