AMÉLIE MEETS RICK & MORTY

I professed earlier this year that my new favorite movie was Léon: The Professional, but that has already changed in three months! This movie was weird and unique. I was enthralled with the art, fast-paced story, and quirky characters. Night is Short, Walk On Girl is one of the best things I have watched this year. 

The art is a lot to take in. The first half of the movie is primarily cool-toned, which makes sense because the story takes place at night. While it's mostly dark, there are vivid pops of colors, similar to Death Parade, but not as grim! Towards the climax of the movie, there is a mix of warm (lighting inside houses) and gray (the storm). 

Aside from the beautiful color palette, the character design, back-stories, and personalities are hilarious; this movie is a conglomerate of weird that I reveled in. For example, the Underpants Leader has worn the same underpants because it will "help him find his true love," this is what he claims. 
There is also Higuchi with his gloriously large and bulbous chin. The actions these characters do defy the laws of biology and physics. When the characters swallow alcohol, which they do a lot of, you can see them take big gulps that travel down their body. Also, when they slam their drinks up, the liquid flies straight out of the glass and back without a single drop spilled. There is also the dance of the sophists, look at the image at the top. This is why I liken the movie to Rick & Morty. The art is weird, and the characters do outrageous things.

When watching this movie, I lost track of time. A lot happens in a short time, and that tricks you into believing more time has passed than it actually has. Each mini-story is compelling enough to stand alone, which is why I thought the movie ended much sooner than it actually did. When the first story ended and the second began, I was incredibly confused, and thought, there's more?! But once you're on the ride, you don't complain anymore because it's that enjoyable. The plots seem incredibly random, but the way everything ties together is satisfying and similar to Amelie; the plots are nearly identical in my opinion. Why is the protagonist bothering to do all these little tasks? Can the story please head somewhere? Patience! 


I hope you all watch the acid trip that is Night is Short, Walk On Girl because it is worth it. I can't stop praising it. I've been extra annoying to my family because I talk so passionately about it. Watch it, and let me know what you think in the comments.

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow, this sounds AWESOME! I love both Amelie and Rick and Morty. I need a good laugh and I love some great animation, so I should give this a watch. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete

Let's discuss!