TOSS A COIN TO YOUR OUTLIER

The Witcher appeared everywhere on social media and real-life: Geralt's bath scene, toss your coin to your witcher song, Jaskier and Geralt's bromance, and conversations with people. I avoided watching this show because I am not a fan of shows; I prefer movies because they're shorter and less of a commitment. Also, everyone kept comparing this show to Game of Thrones. I don't hate the latter; I'm just not a die-hard fan. 

The show's organization is peculiar and takes some adjustment because it weaves different parts of the characters' life to create the story. The writers did a great job pacing the story because 1) it's not a boring, massive info-dump, 2) it illustrates how their stories are all connected, and 3) it was not that confusing. It would have been infinitely worse if they spent one full episode dedicated to one character. I applaud the intriguing storytelling. 

I guess the plot and characters are alright(?), I don't have any sympathy for the characters, mainly because I wasn't invested in it. It has exciting fight scenes, but nothing about the plot is memorable or stands out to me. What does the Striga story arc serve? What does Cahir want? Why is Brokilon Forest mentioned? I understand the first season is used to introduce the characters and lay the groundwork for future development, but nothing hooked me to this show. I can't use staring at Henry Cavill/finding makeup inspiration as justification to watch this show. Yennefer and Calanthe have such beautiful makeup looks

At least the CGI is good!

Have you watched The Witcher? Did you enjoy it? Did you read the books/play video games?
To leave this post on a good note: I watched Inglorious Basterds, and Brad Pitt's southern accent is the most entertaining thing during this quarantine period. Here it is if you don't know what I'm talking about and if you need some blessing. 

3 comments:

  1. I actually REALLY enjoyed The Witcher! I watched it when it first came out because my brother loves the books and the video games, although I haven't read or played any of them. I thought it was super promising and I can't wait for the next season. I really liked this but I don't agree with the GoT comparisons. I am not that into GoT, but Witcher seems so different. Just because they are both fantasy shows doesn't mean they compare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wanted to enjoy it too after I saw your review/recommendation. What does your brother think about the show? Does it stay true to books?

      Delete
  2. I haven't really thought a whole lot about The Witcher since hearing about it, my brother loved the game and enjoys it so he's told me a bit about both.

    ReplyDelete

Let's discuss!