I LOVE PRIDE AND PREJUDICE MOST ARDENTLY

My love for Mr. Darcy the series was reignited after watching the television series (a.k.a the best adaptation.) This is my justification. 
Kidding, but not really because we love Colin Firth. This adaptation is faithful to the novel, most likely due to its format: six one-hour-long episodes. I think Ehle was a fantastic Lizzy, and her portrayal demonstrates Regency Era manners well. What I mean by the latter is, she clearly outlines the expected decorum, to the point where people who have no knowledge about the mannerisms can comprehend. The writing and casting were spot-on. Mrs. Bennet is an annoying embarrassment, Lydia is a foolish and insufferable girl, and the Bingley sisters were duplicitous and vile. But the best casting has to go to David Bamber as Mr. Collins. It's amazing how he brings the character to life, but he is truly headache-inducing. My only qualm is the casting for Lady Catherine de Bourgh (I can hear Bamber saying her name clearly in my mind. If you decide to watch it, make it a drinking game!) Judi Dench will always be my one and only Lady Catherine de Bourgh.

The chemistry between Darcy and Lizzy was a pleasure to watch, as always. The sisterhood between Lizzy and Jane, although present, was bland. Looking back, she is bland in every adaptation... The Wickham Fiasco Part Deux makes more sense to me now; I didn't understand why it was such a big deal, until this adaptation, rereading the book, and searching for my inquiry. All in all, this is a fantastic adaptation, but a bit slow for people with short attention spans, like me!
I listened to the audiobook (heard it on Youtube.) First and foremost, the reader is fantastic. Then again, as someone who suffered through the Sadie by Courtney Summers audiobook, anything is preferable. Secondly, I have to physically read the book next time because I haven't appreciated the book. I am incapable of solely listening to an audiobook without doing something else: I am not listening actively anymore. I recognized the glaringly clever remarks, but I want to appreciate all the subtleties. 

Last, but not least: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (The Movie.)

I did not understand a lick of the "Chinese" that came out of Lily James' mouth, nor the "Japanese" that came out of Ms. Bingley; I thought they were speaking a language reserved for the aristocracy. The pacing was too fast. The movie tried to include all the "highlights" of Pride and Prejudice and put it in a zombie backdrop. But the most unfortunate, the Rosings engagement. The one element I enjoy in every adaptation is the tension between Lizzy and Darcy. It is palpable and sometimes awkward, but it's never lustful. I really enjoyed the fight between them. My reaction was, "Oh, that's hot... lol." I expected more tension. 

Those were my only qualms to an otherwise enjoyable movie. It was empowering, to some degree, for all the Bennet sisters to be trained in martial arts, but they could have done more. They were fighting in pretty dresses at balls for self-defense. Where was the fame Catherine de Bourgh in battle (more on her later)? The girls? Mr. Bennet could've saved his fortune by not educating some, and by not having some... I liked the Mr. Wickham villain arc writers wrote, and how it stays true to the original, but also innovating

While it was great seeing Lena Headey, having someone to physically fight Lizzy OVER A MAN?! The empowerment and patriarchy were negating each other. The girls can protect themselves, but they still need advantageous marriages to live. The girls can fight, but they don't. The few good things: Darcy jumping into the water, the wedding scene reminiscent of the TV show, and Matt Smith as Mr. Collins. 

4 comments:

  1. Ahem...I have never read Pride and Prejudice. I know, it's a crime. I really, REALLY need to finally pick it up. And then watch the adaptations. Maybe this year is the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you love Pride and Prejudice as much as I do. The movie and the tv show are the best adaptations, please skip Pride and Prejudice and Zombies!

      Delete
  2. I love the movie, but have yet to read this book. Will soon though 😆

    MB> keturahskorner.blogspot.com
    PB> thegirlwhodoesntexist.com

    ReplyDelete

Let's discuss!