LATE TO THE MOVIES and to finishing this post

Bohemian Rhapsody
I didn't watch BR in theaters when it came out because I wanted to cry in the privacy of my own home, which I did, twice. I like Queen, I am not familiar with their entire discography, only their famous hits, but I do love what I've heard. Unfortunately, I didn't have the opportunity to listen to them while Freddie was alive, like how I had a chance to listen to Bowie while he was alive. Their music left an impact on my life that I was unaware of. When I was in elementary school, I would do the stomp-clap rhythm from We Will Rock You in the cafeteria, I would sing "we are the champions," and I didn't find out that was Queen until a while later. 

Also, I didn't watch BR in theaters because I was skeptical: what if I don't like it? I've seen plenty of movies I disliked in theaters; I desperately wanted to love this movie, and I was scared to be let down. Fortunately, I loved this movie, biopic: viewers get a glimpse of Farrokh, Freddie's metamorphosis, Queen's formation, their artistic struggled, their internal struggles, et al. It's hard for me to fathom Queen struggling to be heard because they are legendary. Who would doubt them?! I didn't know that the song Bohemian Rhapsody was poorly received. I think the actors did fantastic jobs. The cinematography is beautiful. The sound mixing is great; it's imperative for this movie, in particular, to have great sound mixing because it's a key element to the story. This movie did a great job portraying Queen's history, I learned a lot. I loved learning about Freddie's family because I found it sweet. As much as I hate Paul, I enjoyed learning that part of Freddie's life too. 

This spot was supposed to be for The Favorite, but I didn't write enough in the draft, nor do I remember the movie. 


Léon: The Professional
I knew I was going to love this movie within the first ten minutes of watching, which is rare. How many of you can say that about a movie? This movie has officially dethroned Silence of the Lambs and Princess Mononoke. 

The beginning is exciting, smart, fast, and hooks you in. We all learn why Léon is called The Professional. Despite being a hitman, he's sweet, innocent, and precious: there is this childishness to him. He contrasts Mathilda, a young girl that seems like an adult. She smokes, she dresses rather provocatively, she curses, etc. Seeing their "relationship" develop was precious. Léon has always been alone, and now he knows what love and friendship are like. Mathilda lived in a loveless and unconventional home, so having a father-figure/friend like Léon, who provided some structure, is beneficial. The one thing that didn't sit well with me is when Mathilda called Léon her lover... I am uncomfortable.

Gary Oldman is such an amazing actor; as much as I hate Stansfield, Oldman is brilliant and fantastic. After he eats those pills, he descends into madness. It is terrifying but electrifying. His performance is captivating and disturbing in the best way. 

I think the plot is interesting and it's well-paced, but I have qualms with how Léon becomes "weak." He's a professional, why is he getting shot? Is he not preparing enough? Why can't he separate business and his personal life? The way I interpreted the events is love makes you weak, which is a disheartening message. 

2 comments:

  1. I also watched Bohemian Rhapsody in the comfort of my own home last year. It is so spectacular and as a Queen lover, I thought it was spot on thematically. I also watched The Favorite last year and I liked it but didn't LOVE it. In my opinion, it was overhyped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first sat down to review The Favorite, I didn't know what to write because I didn't exactly know what I felt about it. It was definitely confusing and overhyped.

      Delete

Let's discuss!