(KIND OF) TORTURE DOWN TEEN ROMANCE LANE


The Dark Calling (The Arcana Chronicles #5)
by Kresley Cole
Valkyrie Press | February 13, 2018
      In a world teetering on the edge...
When Evie received life-changing—and possibly game-changing—news, she has trouble believing it. Why doesn't she feel any different? Is it possible someone she trusts might be lying?
      With enemies at every turn...
Tensions seethe inside the castle of lost time as Evie starts to doubt her own sanity. Answers can be found outside their stronghold, but will Death help her find them—or prevent her from learning the truth about her future and Jack's possible survival?
      Darkness beckons.
A mysterious, sinister power begins to affect the Arcana in its path. Forced out into the wasteland alone, Evie must depend on unexpected allies. But as a battle with Richter looms, can her new alliance defeat the Dark Calling before hell reigns on earth?

Poison Princess sparked my curiosity about how the story will end. I decided to DNF the series after reading Arcana Rising because I didn't like the twist; it's the same twist that made me DNF The Titan Series, happens in The Struggle, by JLA. Maybe it's the nostalgia, the desire to read for entertainment, or my hate for leaving things unfinished, I decided to finish the series - the last installment comes out this August. 

The Dark Calling threw me into a loop because I've been gone for so long; I would reread the whole series, but I'm lazy and addicted to Animal Crossing Pocket Camp. I have no memory of most events that happened in Arcana Rising, which is a double-edged sword: I was lost, but the surprises shocked me. I've lost track of who's still in the game, who killed who, and what their powers are, but I'm looking forward to seeing how everything pans out. 

I love the newly activated card because they stirred the pot - they have a fascinating ability, which reminded me of tarot card readers. I also loved the ensuing battle because it was so dramatic. As much as I loved the intense drama at the beginning of the novel, that excitement did not continue. Think HIIT: there was a powerful burst at the beginning, it lulls for a long time, and then there's another powerful burst at the end. I still do not completely understand Zara/The Fortune's power, you're lucky? The environment continues to affect the characters; the other Major Arcana are your enemy, but the setting will always be the biggest enemy (man vs. man and man vs. nature.) I can't wait to meet the rest of the Minor Arcana; the rest have a lot to live up to after this installment. 

This installment has fewer sound effects, which is good because it reads juvenile and comic book - comics are great, but this isn't a comic book. The love triangle is still prevalent; I thought it was going to end with Evie finally choosing someone (all signs pointed to this person with how the story was developing.) In the end, she "chooses" someone, but it wasn't in her own terms - it was forced upon her. After all those pages, hiatuses, fights, and time to think, I thought she would've developed into a more mature character that's sure of her choices; I'm disappointed with her character development in this aspect - I remember stating in the past that I enjoyed an element of her character development. I think Kresley isn't sure what to do and is putting it off. It seemed like a cop-out to me, sorry.

Remember in that last review where I said Jack was an ingenuine ass? I want to take it back because I respect what he did in this novel. It was refreshing to read his inherent leadership quality and his camaraderie with others, he gets along with everyone! It was nice not reading people at each others' throats from time to time. I think he genuinely fell in love with Evie through the installments and has her best interest at heart; he'll sacrifice his happiness for her happiness, and I think this demonstrates real love and maturity; he also accepts all of Evie. I like Aric, fascinating lonely backstory that makes you sympathize for him, but I don't care too much for him. I think there's going to be a "redemption arc" in the next novel that makes me love his character, predictable.

Although this novel certainly has a lot of action and some romantic "development," I consider it fluff because the ending isn't any closer. It introduced new concepts and teased readers with the impending epic battle, but that's not enough. I want it to end already, and I hope the ending is everything I've been waiting for and more. We've suffered through Evie's love triangles, alliances, betrayal, loss, friendship, etc. I want it to be worth it. The journey is fun and all, but I hope the ending slaps. 

4 comments:

  1. I hate leaving series unfinished. It has to be seriously BAD for me to abandon it. Also, fluff endings are the worst because they are so unsatisfying. Animal crossing pocket camp is amazing and I still love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would ask you for your Animal Crossing ID so we can be friends, but I had to delete the game - I was too obsessed with it, lol!

      Delete
  2. I hate when a book in a series is just fluff and pointless- in the end you're no closer than you were :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Preach! I hope there's a resolution/a purpose in the final installment.

      Delete

Let's discuss!