XOXO, GOSSIP GIRL


I missed out on a lot of teenage shows because I was preoccupied watching Disney Channel and Nickelodeon shows. I remember my sister kicking me out of the living room so she could watch The Vampire Diaries, which is one of my least favorite shows. Anyway, Gossip Girl is my newest obsession, and my sister gave me flack for being late to the bandwagon. The speed at which I finished all six seasons is terrifying and awe-inducing (this show took over my life.) 



As I marathoned the episodes and my shame for not realizing Kristen Bell is the narrator (for shame!) dulled, I got tired of the repetitive on-again-off-again friendships and relationships. I stuck with it for so long because of three characters: Dorota, Blair, and Chuck. I skipped through the episodes until I saw them; I missed out some "important" drama, but I'll live; I got the gist of the story, I don't have to watch every second and dissect every minute detail.  

Dorota was a breath of fresh air amidst the war in the Upper East Side. She's adorable and hilarious. The antics she and Blair get up to... I loved her loyalty, kindness, and quirkiness. She's the confidant and partner in crime everyone wants. I'm thrilled they gave her an arc in the third season. I'm happy with what the writers did for her character, albeit parts of the arc made me cry; Dorota puts up with a lot, so she deserves a happy ending. 

I love to hate Blair and Chuck. Blair is sometimes a selfish and childish schemer, but her loyalty to her loved ones and her rare moments of vulnerability redeem her and make sense of her actions. I also admire her drive to achieve things by any means possible. Although her actions are infuriating, that's who she is, and we love her; her schemes and tenacity are what make her unique.

I thought my attitude towards Chuck was at the point of no return after what happened in the first episode, but I began to support him as the story progressed: his business, his relationship, and his growth as a person. That does not excuse his terrible actions, nor have I forgotten them, but I was too lost in his eyes and raspy voice to slap any sense into me. He's so charming and seductive. It's magic when they're together because of their addictive and undeniable chemistry; they are my favorite pairing of all time. You grow to love his character too because he's broken and you want him to redeem himself.
The show has amazing cameos, soundtrack, and performances: Florence Welch/Florence and the Machine, Lady Gaga, St. Vincent, etc. Gorgeous sets, fashion to die for, and drama to last a lifetime-what more could you ask for?

3 comments:

  1. I binge watched this show years ago and it's so addicting. Dorota was also my favorite character but Chuck and Blair together are easily the best part of the show. Especially because I always found Serena and Dan to be annoying. What did you think of the "big reveal" at the end?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG, my thoughts exactly. The reveal made sense because Dan, who was basically a nobody, was suddenly put into the spotlight as "lonely boy." I liked the reveal.

      What are your thoughts on Georgina? At first, I hated her, but then I grew to like her.

      Delete
  2. Ahh this is one of my favorite shows of all time!! Blair and Chuck are my FAV!! I also finished this in a ridiculously short amount of time (oops) but could. not. stop. Glad u enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete

Let's discuss!