MY BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS

I love it when people ask me for a book recommendation; I love getting to know what genres they like, remembering books I've read they might enjoy, and hearing that they enjoyed the book, it warms my cockles - I could have easily said heart, but this word sounds funnier. This is not a definitive list, and it is short because I only wrote about books I had a lot to say about - I can vividly recall my opinions about the book. 


Starfish by Akemi Dawn Bowman

I reviewed Summer Bird Blue on my blog, and as much as I enjoyed it, I don't think it holds a candle to Starfish. Maybe it's just me, but I found Starfish very heavy, moving, and relatable. I was on the verge of tears most of the time, and I was ugly crying because I felt so emotional. After reading this novel, I realized the importance of "own voices" novels. I found Kiko's opinion about herself saddening, so when she came to terms with herself and loved herself, I was cheering and happy crying. It's a beautiful novel, and I think anyone, regardless if they're Asian or not, can find something in Kiko they relate with. 

If you like: own voices, crying, and contemporary.


Stolen by Lucy Christopher

I am recommending this novel reluctantly. In my opinion, the writing is not spectacular; I'm not expecting it to be life-changing, or for it to be a modern classic, but there are times which I found the writing awkward. I recommended this to a friend, and she did not like it for that reason, the dialogue, which I can understand. I'm recommending this novel because it has a special place in my heart cockle. I accredit this book as the book that made me fall in love with reading, and I read this novel EVERY year. Anyway... The characters leave a lasting impression; I am still invested in these characters and I long to see them together again. Luckily, Lucy Christopher is currently back in Australia researching to write Stolen 2!!!

If you like: contemporary, messed-up stuff, and awkwardness.


Lady of the Camellias by Alexandre Dumas Fils

This is a new favorite, but it's also a story I've been obsessing over with for years. The tumultuous romance that has everybody's emotions on a rollercoaster ride, how life imitates art, the splendid writing (disclaimer: I read the translation,) and the tragedy! It's so romantic, love that consumes you, that makes you lose your senses, and makes you sacrifice your happiness. Though I find it slow-paced because I often read fast-paced fantasy novels, I thoroughly enjoyed the development of the story, it's kind of like doing a jigsaw puzzle. It takes time, but the details create a beautiful picture. It's such a shame that not many people my age, my friends, who know about this book and story. 

If you like: Classics, romance, and prose.


The Color Purple by Alice Walker

This is another gem I discovered this year. I was moved by the hard-hitting content in this novel. It tackled so many ideas, but it never felt too much, too convoluted. It wasn't including all those topics just to make a statement; all those topics intertwined with the story and the characters. This novel features a cast of vibrant, empowering black Southern women that leave a strong impression with their moving stories and big personalities. This was a refreshing read because I seldom read novels like this. I rarely felt a sense of boredom, as I often do while reading Classics, because each chapter/letter is concise. 

If you like: social commentary, feminism, and "being woke".


Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

I've stated this before, this is my favorite Classic novel of all time. I've recommended this book to a friend, but she found the writing boring, which I initially did too! The story is hard to acclimatize to because the beginning seems inconsequential in the grand schemes of this novel. But once you get past that, you discover the beautiful, floral, intoxicating, and breath-taking writing. The book is incredibly slow-build, but the revelation is explosive and sends shockwaves that radiate. Once the book climaxes, you're grasping at the book and holding on for more pages, but it ends abruptly. Upon finishing this novel and going to bed, you see Mrs. Danvers during your sleep paralysis. 

If you like: being shocked, not knowing things, and prose.


The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

This is a beautiful and heart-wrenching novel that left a profound impact on me, and I didn't write a review for it because I couldn't organize my opinions, which I regret because I can't remember a thing about this novel. Upon completion, I researched how I could support the author's humanitarian work because I was so moved: I wanted to create a fundraiser for school, and it solidified my desire to work in the UN. The author crafts a beautiful story about Amir returning to his mother country to correct his past/atone for his sins. Even though he plays the starring role, Hassan's kindness, love, and loyalty stole everyone's hearts.

If you like: crying, learning about cultures, and being shocked. 

2 comments:

Let's discuss!