REWATCHING TWILIGHT AND BREAKING DAWN PART 2

Like every other person in the book community, I heard the news about Midnight Sun, and though I won't be reading it, I am considering rereading The Twilight Saga to torture myself/gain a new perspective. After the news came out, hilarious Twilight memes started to bombard my Instagram discover page. These fans love the series and aren't afraid to make fun of it, which I love. Seeing them so invested in the characters with imagining the possible dialogues and scenarios convinced me that I missed out on something during my reading and viewing. Plus, everyone's rewatching it.

I'm not saying the first movie is a cinematic masterpiece, because it's not, but I like the color grading of it; everything is blue and cold, which makes sense and somewhat enhances the landscape. The landscape is gorgeous and provides a strong case, plus Twin Peaks, for me to move to Washington. Most parts of the movie look dark and dank. The cloudiness and fogginess are great because I prefer overcast for bookstagram, and it's dramatic to emerge from the fog. There's also the mystery and allure of small towns.

The acting... A+, truly. The screenplay and acting all deserve an Oscar nomination. Kristen Stewart sounds like she's constantly constipated, in pain, and out of breath. How is this awkward and clumsy girl bewitching all the dudes? I don't know, but she does! Robert Pattinson, bless this man... He sounds like he's in agony too, but also kind of horny. Not only are they amazing actors, but they're also amazing comedians: I could not stop laughing over the dramatics.

I have a newfound appreciation for Charlie Swan because he's trying to do his best; he loves his daughter, but he doesn't quite know how to express it, which I find endearing. 

I think the über-blue color grading works for the first film, but I am glad they ditched it in the last one. The franchise matured with each installment, in terms of cinematography and scripting, but I still found Bella a lil' constipated, in agony, and awkward. Edward is full-own horny now. There are some striking scenes in this installment.

I decided to only watch these two films for a multitude of reasons: I don't want to suffer through the whole franchise, I have homework, I remember the most of the plots, I don't want to see the love-triangle, and I don't recall the last one. I praise this installment for having a diverse cast and showing vampires from different parts of the world. That being said, I think there are some token characters/people that are used as props because they don't say anything! I don't recall Benjamin's mate Tia saying a word, she just stands there and sometimes clings onto Benjamin. Zafrina also doesn't say much, she just smizes—I thought she was Tyra Banks. 

Finally, I wanted to re-experience that twist because I remember audibly gasping in theaters when I watched it. I think the fight scene is exhilarating! Although it doesn't have the same shock-factor, I found myself shocked slightly because I forgot how some things panned out. I was pumped during the fight, I was cheering Team Cullen, I was hurt when some of my favorite characters died, and I was cackling with glee when my least favorite characters died. 

What's great about this movie is its nostalgia and soundtrack, that's it. Eyes on Fire is iconic, and I found myself singing Decode around the house. 

2 comments:

  1. OMG I love this. I re-watched the whole film series this spring with some friends for a laugh. But I low-key love watching them and they are such a guilty pleasure. I also like the color grading and cinematography of the films. It is just the plot (which is the books' fault) and the lines that can be so cringe. I also hate the token characters in the last film. They were SO cool and interesting but were hardly involved. I do like the fight scene but still find the ending a little anticlimactic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to rewatch the entire franchise too. While it's cringe and problematic, there are some enjoyable aspects (the nostalgia, music, etc.) They definitely are a guilty pleasure!

      Delete

Let's discuss!