THESE BOOKS HAVE GOT TO GO | READING RESOLUTIONS

I'm not putting in the effort to find new books to read, so I'll chop down my TBR pile. I've been pruning the list, but I didn't read those fallen books: I lost interest in them. Look at that unnecessary tree-related diction choice... I wrote this post almost a month in advance, so I've begun reading some of the books on the list already.  

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini is first on the list. I know almost nothing about it, but I am excited to read it. I was working when an English teacher recommended this book—I was reading Lord of the Flies "for fun" at the time. Speaking of Lord of the Flies...

Lord of the Flies by William Golding. I had an abysmal, this word cannot even begin to describe my pain, time reading this novel, which is why I never completed it. I think it's imperative I read this before I graduate. In fact, I will start reading it right now. (Update: I finished it and still loathe it, but I can appreciate what the author sought to do artistically. It's brilliant commentary.)

La Dame aux Camelias by Alexandre Dumas Fils. There was a time in middle school where I was obsessed with watching this movieit had to be the one with Greta Garbo! I scoured the web for it, I found it, I watched it for five minutes, and I turned it off. Years later and this hasn't changed. I will try to find a copy with the French and English side-by-side, as I cannot fully comprehend the French text. (Update: I did not find a side-by-side edition, but my review will be up soon.)

Eliza and Her Monsters by Francesca Zappia. I have read parts of this in the library, but I never borrowed it. I liked what I read; the main character finds solace in her art because it allows her to express herself and communicate with others, which I think many people can relate to. If I enjoy this novel, I have a friend in mind that I would recommend it to. I was a huge fan of Made You Up, and I cannot wait to see how the author tackles mental health in this novel. 

The Color Purple by Alice Walker. I think I have a limited reading taste because I gravitate towards the same stories and the same genres. I want to step out of my comfort zone and read a different story/perspective. I think this will be a rather illuminating read, and I hope it sparks me to read similar novels or change how I think. I'm romanticizing this book...

The Song of Achilles and/or Circe by Madeline Miller. I do not know why I want to read it, as my love for Greek and Roman Mythology have been trampled on by an Erymanthian Boar (my Latin class.) I think I selected these novels based on shallow reasons: the author has IMPRESSIVE, an understatement, credentials. I'm leaning more towards Circe because I know less about her, and I want to learn more. Also, I've seen the Trojan War too many times. I deduce there's a Medea novel in the works (Jason and the Golden Fleece.)

The Cruel Prince by Holly Black, whom I have not read in a long timeI read The Spiderwick Chronicles in elementary school. I wanted to read this novel because there was a lot of hype around it, the tension! So many glowing reviews. Normally, I don't gravitate towards Fae novels because I do not like them, the books and the creatures, but I've got to see what the hype's all about.  

Summer Bird Blue by Akemi Dawn Bowman. This author wrote one of my favorite books, Starfish, and I want to see if she can deliver the same emotional impact. It's unfair because I have very high, near unrealistic, expectations for this novel. 

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley: I have to read it at some point, might as well read it now. 

We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson. I remember Marzia recommending this novel because Stoker is based off it. I think I would have enjoyed Stoker more if it was less sexual, which is why I'm giving this novel a chance: I don't think this going to be sexual, hopefully.

Coraline by Neil Gaiman. I am very excited to read this because I adore the movie. I am also excited to finally read a novel by Neil Gaiman.

I hope I live up to my promises. Thank you for reading. What do you plan to read 2019? As part of my 2019 Blog Revival, I will try to upload once every two weeks, so be on the lookout for new posts! 

13 comments:

  1. I really need to read The Cruel Prince too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg Circe and The Song of Achilles are two of my most favourite novels of all time! I cannot say enough good things about Madeline Miller, I hope you love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm so excited to read them. What did you like about those novels?

      Delete
  3. Okay, I have so much to say! First of all, anything by Neil Gaiman is incredible, including Coraline. Have you read The Ocean at the End of the Lane? That's my personal favorite. And Frankenstein is dark and dreary, but I actually quite enjoyed it, so I hope you do, too. But finally I've found someone else who hasn't read the Cruel Prince! I want to read it too, but I just haven't gotten to it yet. I thought I was the only one. Circe and We Have Always Lived in the Castle are also on my (never-ending) list. Awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erin!
      Now I'm even more excited to read Coraline! I have not read The Ocean at the End, but I'll but add it to my TBR. Thank you so much for visiting.

      Delete
  4. I need to start reading Neil Gaiman's books this year! More classics too. I hope you enjoy Frankenstein and Coraline!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm currently listening to Coraline's audiobook. Unfortunately, I think I prefer the movie more...

      Delete
  5. What a wide assortment of reads there, very eclectic tastes. I'm a big fan of reading the classics at least once. So many readers dismiss them so easily as being a little pretentious and that's not the case at all. We have classics like Alice in Wonderland or even Charlie and The Chocolate Factory, Charlotte's Web, children's classics are beautiful! Really looking forward to seeing your progress and hopefully you find a new favourite in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for visiting! I do have very eclectic tastes! I think it's such a shame people these days don't read classics because they are missing out on some truly amazing works.

      Delete
  6. You've got some great books here! I read Lord of the Flies during my AP English class in high school and ended up writing about that for the test. I didn't love it, but it served its purpose for me at the time. Frankenstein, I read back in...gosh, 2008? 2007? Somewhere around then. I used to read classic literature out loud to my son (who was very young back then!) in order to both train his ears for good writing and to get through the harder books myself. Frankenstein was one he picked out and we both enjoyed it.

    I got such a huge list of books I want to get through, but I'm really looking forward to all the new voices and subjects I'll tackle doing BookRiot's Read Harder Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt the same way about LOTF with Heart of Darkness. I had two English classes last year and my non-AP English class decided to read it... terrible choice... I somehow ended up writing about it on the test. Thank you so much for visiting, Stephanie!

      Delete

Let's discuss!