VAMPIRE ACADEMY REREAD

At the beginning of this year, I read The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare for the third time. I did this because I had such conflicting experiences with it, and needed to justify my purchase. When I first started the series, I loved it. I went to Barnes and Noble to buy a hardcover BOX set. OOF goes my wallet. Once I got the box set in the mail, I decided to reread the series, and I hated it. I found Jace annoying, and I was bored by the writing. You can read how I felt about the series HERE and my COHF REVIEW.

Since I did that with The Mortal Instruments, it only makes sense to do the same with Vampire Academy, which I also bought a box set of (softcover) while purchasing TMI. Rest in peace wallet!

I distinctly remember discovering Vampire Academy in the eighth grade, and it was a "hot commodity" among readers of the series. I brought the first book to school, a classmate I didn't particularly like asked to borrow it, I lent it to her, and I have regrets. Why didn't you say no, Vivien? Because I was intimidated by her! Another classmate asked to borrow the book, but I said no because I learned my lesson. Anyway... I loved this series. I loved Rose's sassiness, her friendship with Lissa, the drama, and Dimitri. I hope I still love those aspects and this series.

And so it begins...
Vampire Academy
It's been a while since I revisited the world, but I remember bits of the plot while reading. I was still very entertained and in love with Rose's sassiness and rebellious nature. I met Dimitri again and learned why I loved his character in the first place. He's the cool, silent badass we all aspire to be. Despite being able to kick your ass, he's incredibly kind, caring, and patient. I know some view this series as "trashy," but it's so entertaining and imaginative. I can see why it was such a hit when it came out. (I think this book came out during the vampire craze in the publishing industry.) Vampire Academy could have been another typical vampire romance, but it wasn't! Richelle Mead created a world that had good vampires, bad vampires, and guardians that protected them from each other. It's well-paced, well-plotted, and thought out. 


Frostbite
I have mixed feelings about this one. I like the new character, but I love the one that died. I knew the death was coming, but it affected me. I understand this death was "pivotal" for Rose's growth, but that doesn't make it less awful. I hate it when authors kill off important characters for the sake of "character growth." Anyway, the beginning of this book had a quick run-down of the world. Get all the world development out the way so the plot can start developing, I like it. As I mentioned before, there was character growth and development. I love the budding Moroi political intrigue and change. I found those two very interesting because I love reading about people breaking traditions to adapt to the modern world. I think the ability to do so shows awareness and openness to change.


Shadow Kiss/Blood Promise
I must admit, the ending of SK made me a little teary-eyed. Throughout the book, you see how much Rose has matured. Readers also get to learn more about spirit-the effects on the shadow-kissed. In my opinion, this book was the peak of the series. I was reading Blood Promise when I realized this. SK had a great balance of action and romance. Blood Promise was very romance-driven. This novel expands on the abilities of spirit users, but it was overshadowed by the romance. I loved the new characters in BP, but it didn't hold a candle to the epicness of Shadow Kiss, which has a stronger plot. 

I'm going to take a little break from the series because I've been reading them in rapid succession, and I need a break. Overall, I'm enjoying this reread. School is starting soon and I hope it won't affect my reading! I made a lot of progress with my reading challenge in August-you can check out what I read in this post-so I don't want to fall back again. I hope you have a stress free school year and good grades! 

2 comments:

  1. I read the first four books of these series in 2015. I thought I would finish the series that year...I did not!! I just have two left, but I have completely forgotten what's happened...yikes. My interest has waned, but I still ultimately want to know what happens! I think my favorite of the series (so far!) is Shadow Kiss!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Shadow Kiss just stands out from the series! I would ask if you want to buddy read Spirit Bound but rereading 4 books just to do that seems like a lot of work, LOL

    ReplyDelete

Let's discuss!