THE MORTAL INSTRUMENTS REREAD UPDATE


So if you follow me on Goodreads, you know that I recently reread City of Bones, City of Ashes, and City of Glass (the first three books in the series). I reread the first two books a year ago and made the decision that I hated this series. I think I was unhappy with the series the second time around because I was in a really bad book slump. After rereading the third time, I understand why I fell in love with this series in the first place. It's an imaginative world and has a compulsive storyline. However, I thought City of Bones was a bit haphazard. Clare introduces the world and her jargon and it's a lot to take in. Things become more clear as you read, but the words and world were kind of thrown at you. I don't know if it was intended to be like Clary being introduced to the world (probably was), but it felt like it. 

I see everything with new eyes this time around because I know what's going to happen. I was able to pick up on all these foreshadowings, which made me FREAK OUT. Clare drops these hints that you don't really pick up/understand, but they come to fruition, you remember the first time it was mentioned, and then you realize what a genius she is. She drops hints about her future books and it makes your jaw drop. 
This time around, I found Jace annoying. I used to think he was charming, he's still somewhat charming, but his charm became annoying and obnoxious. He's at a 9 and needs to bring it down to a 7 or lower. I think I disliked all characters this time around... except for Magnus. I found them all a bit whiny, lol. I was able to appreciate the diversity of the book a little more. Clare creates characters from every corner of the world and incorporates demons from various cultures. One that really stood out to me were the Japanese ones, I'm a little more acquainted with these because of manga and anime. I loved the mention of the oni demons and the possible mention of the shinigami. (She mentioned this demon with a katana and it reminded me of the shinigami in Naruto)

By reading the series the third time, everything became clearer. I skimmed through the books the first time and now I'm taking my sweet ass time with it. I'm not reading for the sake of reading, I'm reading for my enjoyment now! It's funny how I hated this book in my book slump, but it brought me out of my slump. 

Yes, this series is hyped, but you should read it. It's always great to read about new worlds and see the creativity of people. It's a beloved world with a set of characters that grow on you. I should be reading the fourth book, but I'm taking a break and reading Sherlock Holmes.

No comments:

Post a Comment