Nothing Like Looking Review

Sorry for my lack of activity. I haven't been motivated to do much lately and my phone isn't connecting to Wi-Fi. Phooey




Nothing Like Looking by Chris Van Hykes
Publication: March 2, 2015 from unknown/self
Genre: YA, Romance, Contemporary, Coming of Age, Realistic Fiction
          Reed Larson was just expelled from her old school. Do you want to know why? Me too. But she won’t say.
          Ask her about the book her brother gave her instead, The Hobbit. 
          Or the beautiful boy named Mason. 
          Or her new school, Fancy Snob School for Rich Kids That Want to be Fancy (FSSFRKTWTBF for short).
          Or how she’s hiding everything about herself.
          Actually, scratch that. Just ask her why J.R.R. Tolkien has too many initials. She can’t talk about the rest, yet.


           This book was interesting. I really don't know what to talk about, so I'll just say stuff about the cover... The cover is supposed to look like Smaug the dragon, but it looks like sunglasses on candy corn and lots of skittles. Absolutely unrelated to the book. 
          All I know is that this book might be a good book for my friend Alexis. This book talks a lot about sexual orientation, education, and bits of politics. The book was full of fancy, big vocabulary too. Even though it was fancy, it spoke in a teen fashion, "Facebook like or like like?" You see what I mean?
          I really liked that the main character was a vegan, I would say why and elaborate on that, but I really don't want to spoil anything.
          There wan't much detail on the setting or character development. The main character really hates herself and I really don't think she got over herself. MANY characters were terrible and annoying.
          I did not feel particularly motivated to read this book. I wasn't interested in what was happening. There were so many things going on. I didn't know where the story was going. We find out why she's expelled and a bunch of random stuff just come along. Along the way of this randomness we meet The Big Bang Theory Crew, a.k.a. David, Hannah, and Mason.
          David was like Sheldon, lacking social skills, very intelligent, and he's a big fan of nerdy fantasy LOTR/Hobbit stuff. You have a love-hate relationship with him too.
          Hannah is Amy: she's weird, expresses herself, and just wants love. She also goes through a very slight phase of self-loathing.
          Mason, is a nerdy guy that people like. He gets some because of his popularity. *cough Leonard-ish*.
          Overall, this book wasn't my favorite. I had doubts about this when I reread the synopsis. I really had to push myself to finish this book. I wanted to stop reading this book, but I didn't because I wanted to know how everything panned out. Even thought I knew EVERY author gives characters happy endings. 
          Sorry for the sucky review. Kind of dead after reading this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's discuss!