TORTURE DOWN TEEN ROMANCE LANE V

I doubt anybody knows this series, but I will be rereading the Gods & Monsters series by Kelly Keaton. This series is probably unknown for a reason. It's one of the many things I read on PulseIt, now called RivetedLit. I have a history of not enjoying books from this publisher, so maybe I will do a whole reread dedicated to this publisher, LOL! I am sure the reason I liked this series was because of the romance, but as I continued with the series, I realized how awful it was (the romance and the plot.) I do remember this is set in New Orleans, but it's dark and somewhat post-apocalyptic. I also remember that it has some Greek mythology. It's tragic to see stories with potential fail. 

Note: the Goodreads summaries have more spoilers than my reviews. If you are interested in this series, don't read the summaries (they're in a blockquote,) read the reviews. 



Darkness Becomes Her

     Ari can't help feeling lost and alone. With teal eyes and freakish silver hair that can't be changed or destroyed, Ari has always stood out. And after growing up in foster care, she longs for some understanding of where she came from and who she is.
     Her search for answers uncovers just one message from her long-dead mother: Run. Ari can sense that someone, or something, is getting closer than they should. But it's impossible to protect herself when she doesn't know what she's running from or why she is being pursued.
     She knows only one thing: she must return to her birthplace of New 2, the lush rebuilt city of New Orleans. Upon arriving, she discovers that New 2 is very...different. Here, Ari is seemingly normal. But every creature she encounters, no matter how deadly or horrifying, is afraid of her.
     Ari won't stop until she knows why. But some truths are too haunting, too terrifying, to ever be revealed.
It's a feat that I finished this book because I haven't wanted to read in a long time, and the narrator/main character is unlikable. In addition to this, this book is tragic. I loved the concept, Greek Mythology paired with the supernatural in dilapidated New Orleans, but the lack of thought in pacing and plotting is the downfall. The plot is rushed: a lot happens with not enough time for the concepts to marinate, and the romance is embarrassingly awful. The author knows what she wants to happen, but it doesn't make sense or is well-executed enough.

The main character is incredibly woe is me, pity me, but I'm also badass because I'm sassy and know how to defend myself. This whiplash is paired with fake humility: I look so unique with x and y features that attract attention from the wrong people, I am a freak with supernatural beauty! For most of the book, she is pathetic. She claims to search for answers about her heritage, but she is more preoccupied with her equally annoying love interest. If I was her, I would have skipped going to New Orleans and followed the lead about the relative that claimed my mother's body. That would have streamlined the plot and eliminated that god-awful romance. Towards the end of the book, she comes to terms with her new identity incredibly quickly and becomes the badass she wanted to convince readers she was capable of becoming all along. 

I'm going to get the love interest, Sebastian, out of the way so I can talk about more important things. I hated his faux dark and brooding personality. I know it fits with his identity, but it's cliche. I liked the inclusion of witches, vampires, and shifters, but his unique heritage made the story extra convoluted with ANOTHER special snowflake. A special snowflake can't simply date Joe Shmoe, she needs someone equally special!

I liked what the author did with Greek Mythology. As someone who has unwillingly taken classes related to Greek and Roman cultures for the past years, I appreciated the twist Keaton took. This goddess was already immensely powerful, but to make her power-hungry and psychotic makes so much sense. I also liked how she mentioned other characters that are associated with this goddess, this shows how well-versed she is and that she gave thought to something. However, I wish she kept some of the traits that are associated with this goddess correct. You need to keep some traditions while breaking others. While there are elements I don't like, the plotting and characterization, the writing is okay. 

Like I mentioned in that little paragraph about Sebastian, there are also vampires, witches, and shifters in this story too. It may seem like overkill with all these creatures and Greek Mythology, but I think it enriches the story and makes it fascinating, especially because of the role they play in the story and city. The city is a complex ecosystem with a bizarre history. Although there are dilapidated areas with supernatural beings in New Orleans, tourism is still thriving (normal people are coexisting with the supernatural.) I found this odd.

Considering I have the time, the books, and I am interested to see how things pan out, I will be reading the next book, despite not liking the first. Oof, wish me luck!




A Beautiful Evil

     Myth and mayhem inhabit a richly reimagined New Orleans in this sequel to Darkness Becomes Her.
     After the epic graveyard battle at the end of Darkness Becomes Her, Ari and her friends know what they’re up against: Ari is facing the Medusa curse and is haunted by the image of what she will become. To make matters worse, the heinous goddess Athena has kidnapped young Violet and is threatening to destroy Ari.
     Ari, along with the superhot Sebastian, is doing everything she can to learn more about Athena and to get Violet back. But the battle of good and evil is bigger than she realizes, and she’s about to be pulled into a world more horrific than she could ever imagine...
That beginning was rough. It's like a sad version of Vampire Academy, but with more identity crisis. It's incredibly frustrating for Ari to revert back to this spineless and insufferable character after the ending of the last book. Where is her gall now? Also, Sebastian's hot and cold romance is disturbing. Either you want her or not, stop leading her on! I can't stand another internal dialogue about how much she craves his attention. Not enough lush descriptions about New Orleans that makes you feel like you're there will save this story. 

I complained that the author didn't explain this well enough in the last installment, so she attempts to make up for it in this novel. There is more action in this installment and more stupidity courtesy of Ari. It's incredibly difficult to like her as a character when she's that moronic and insufferable. I will continue to use Kestrel as a frame of reference she uses logic to be five steps ahead of others, something I wish Ari would learn. 

I like Athena as a villain more and more, especially because she likes Bowie. She's got taste! I was a little frustrated with her in the previous installment because she seemed reckless, which is completely out of character for her. In this installment, she has more of a plan and she's more ruthless, both things I respect, yet she fails again. Lastly, her purpose for everything also seems out of character and convoluted. 

This installment is slightly better than the last because there's more action, explanation, and plot, but the same awkwardness and shortcomings are still present. 


The Wicked Within

     Ancient lore leads to present danger in the final book in the dark and sexy paranormal romance trilogy about a descendent of Medusa, set in a richly reimagined New Orleans.
     Her fate is not set in stone.
     Having temporarily defeated Athena, Ari races to break the gorgon curse that has plagued the women in her family for centuries. Her one lead sends her on a quest for the Hands of Zeus, an ancient relic last seen in the charge of New 2’s ruling elite, the Novem. But if there is one thing that Athena desires as much as revenge, it’s the Hands of Zeus—and Athena always gets what she wants.
     Before either can locate the Hands, the statue goes missing, and a trail of blood follows those who once protected the relic’s secrets. Ari knows that her city, her friends, Sebastian—her life—depend upon her finding the statue before Athena. And with rumors an ancient power is on the rise, that may not be her only concern…
This is by far the most interesting installment because Athena is more conniving and stirring the pot; more personalities are clashing because she fragmented them, plus new people are entering the scene because of this. She continues to prove why she is the goddess of strategy. I liked that the mythology was further developed and explored in this installment, but it got too convoluted in that final showdown at the end. What was the purpose of waking that god? But, the twist in that final showdown was jaw-dropping. 

Overall, I enjoyed where this installment ended, so I think the next one is completely unwarranted. There is a happy and ambiguous ending. I'm fine with this vague ending because I am not a hardcore fan that needs to know how everything ends. I'm still reading the next one!



Heart of Stone

      A CHILD FATED TO START A WAR.
     A LOVE SHE’LL RISK EVERYTHING TO PROTECT.

     Set in New 2, a dangerous and lush alternate New Orleans, the fourth book in Keaton’s Gods & Monsters series, finds the God-killer Ari and Mistborn Sebastian on the hunt for Archer, infant son of Athena, a child fated to bring about the Blood Wars, the ultimate showdown between the gods and the monsters they created, a war that will trap mankind in the middle of a destructive conflict thousands of years in the making. 
     As Ari and Sebastian attempt to rescue the child, forces pull them apart, sending Sebastian on a perilous journey to the desert sands of Egypt and into the lair of a dark, enthralling entity, and Ari to the Halls of Olympus and, darker still, the very heart of the Underworld where Death awaits with a bargain that brings Ari’s worst nightmares into sharp and heart wrenching focus…
I went into this novel thinking, "This is the last book in the series. I just need to finish this to this over with." WRONG! This is the last book that's being published "traditionally." The story, apparently, but there is nothing to show for, is still ongoing. Please skip this installment. While I loved seeing one friendship develop, the overly-complicated plot and cast of characters make this such a mind-fuck. Read the Kane Chronicles. Watch Queen of the Damned. Same effect, but completed! It sucks because I loved the world, I got into the story, and I enjoyed certain characters. 

Series Rating

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's discuss!