I READ THE OURAN MANGA

Every shoujo-loving person has encountered Ouran Highschool Host Club in their career. I first came across the series, the dubbed version, on the Funimation channel. I still can't believe they were on cable, and I was heart-broken when they left because there are little to no animes on TV in America, especially ones that play throughout the day. I was drawn to the bright colors and flashy characters. Tamaki is ridiculous, and everyone has stilts for legs! I loved the crazy antics they got into, and the elaborate costumes for every club meeting. This comedy about wealthy elites' children and their free time was quality entertainment. 
I was not a fan of 2/3 of the series; I rated the first 12 volumes 2-3 stars with a couple of sporadic 4 star-ratings. I gave high ratings if there were great side-stories/extras, mostly if they featured Mori <3 or Kyoya. I disliked these installments because they were boring and lacked romantic drama. The last six volumes make up for it! They were just "fun" (read light-hearted) stories that didn't add much to the story and introduced minor characters. Shitty plotting aside, and this comes to no surprise, the manga is more in-depth than the anime.

The manga shows different facets to all the characters that the anime was unable to do, and it also explores multiple romances. Mori seems like a bland character that shows his emotions on a few occasions in the anime, but the manga explores his other interests, his maturity, and his friendship with Hani. Speaking of Hani, he was also a one-dimensional character that relied solely on his cuteness, with moments of seriousness when he did martial arts. In the manga, he is wise and cognizant of the complicated and tangled relationships within the Host Club. The anime also down-plays the closeness of some relationships, like the Hitachiin's relationship with the senior members I just mentioned. I have a new-found appreciation for these twins because they were the source of comic-relief and drama, plus their fraternity is cute, not the incest. Tamaki still seems dim-witted, but I started to realize how integral and influential he is. Although Kyoya is also profit-driven and manipulative in the manga, he also has a warm side, adding complexity to his character. I have a love/hate relationship with Haruhi's difference in the anime and manga. I loved how cool and aloof she is initially, but I'm not sure how I feel about her transformation into a typical shoujo heroine. It makes the romance cute and fluffy, and it makes sense for the bigger picture, but she's cliche. I miss her cool indifference.

The plots of the anime and manga are vastly different, I prefer the manga, and that seems to be the general trend, with the exception of Kamisama Kiss. There are definitely similarities between the two, but the manga makes a bit more sense and nicely ties everything together. Everyone is happy, and everything is right in the world. But, I like Kyoya's ending arc in the anime because his skills deserve more recognition. The art style of the first three, I think it's the first three, mangas are atrocious! The art also vastly improves, as in it looks more like the anime. Like I said about the anime, I loved the lavish costumes the members wear. 

As much as I enjoyed the story, this irked me, and it's a small thing, really. Haruhi is supposed to be repaying her debt and growing her clientele, but for the most part, she just stands there like the club's lapdog. HOW YOU GOING TO REPAY THE DEBT LIKE THAT?! Also, how is she affording to go to those expensive places/trips? Are the expenses being added to her debt? I also disliked some side characters, but who doesn't?

I had to stick through it and force myself to finish it, though I didn't actually have to. I am glad I did because I loved the ending, getting to know a different side of the characters, and laughing at stupid shit! That being said, Kaichou wa Maid-Sama will always be my favorite shojo manga.

Series Average Rating

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's discuss!