NARCISSISM | REFLECTING ON WRITING

I used to bemoan my writing. What is this ghastly writing? It does not have a point, it's superfluous, and it's incredibly juvenile! I had enough of my whinging, and I'm sure others did too. I deleted the most offensive posts, ones that were not up to par, and took steps to improve my writing.

I installed Grammarly, I edit my posts multiple times, and I take longer to write my posts, which gives me time to decide if I want to publish it. Now, I don't mean to brag, I enjoy my writing; I find some, not all, well written and entertaining. There's maturity to it (more mature than before,) but it errs on stuffy, especially with the faux SAT words. Now that I've honed in on my writing, I can bring back the personality and passion I had before because some of my current posts are rather flat. I should also increase my writing stamina and plan what I want to say. I don't know if you noticed, but I give up at the end of most posts-it's most evident with my short, choppy sentences; I also don't know how to write conclusions-you read it, why do I need to summarize? What else do I have to say? I'm at a lost for words at that point! I think my punctuation game has improved; I have "complex compound sentences," and I don't rely too much on commas now. I am sometimes zealous with my semicolons, so I should use more dashes, parentheses, and colons. I would try to write more posts... but that's too much to ask for; keep it organic: if it happens, then it happens. 

Enough of tooting my own horn. I also think my AP English teacher contributed to my growth. I have never encountered someone who is as kind, genuine, warm, and caring. Her praise boosted my confidence, and she allowed me to make mistakes and grow in her classroom; she finished what my Freshman English teacher started, whom I am also immensely grateful for. These two amazing teachers ensured that I could write with confidence and skill, and I could feign intellect with all the works they enriched me with: I can understand allusions. 

My review-style has improved, but I can always be more articulate and critical with the writing. The same adjectives are used in rotation. I am terrible at critical reading—you can't teach it; my comments are based on my enjoyment. It would be great if I included specific examples to back up my opinion, but not too much, or it might read like an essay. Also, blogging is a hobby/something I do leisurely, I am not a professional, so it's not important to be accolade-worthy, but it should be presentable. The best way to improve is more reviews, and less miscellaneous topics, which saddens me because I love writing those posts-I get to talk about other passions/update you. Watch my next post be one... 

Thank you so much for reading; I'm super stressed about college apps; I have an irregular heartbeat and crying fits nearly daily. Stanford, please! Hear my apostrophe!

3 comments:

  1. I just got grammarly, and trying it out ... not sure what I think yet ;D But I definitely want my blogposts to be better edited. So I'm hoping it helps. I love how your bio says you like things concise and short ... I'm the same way! One of my favorite things to write are short stories. They just hold so much power. And I love learning languages, too ... I'm learning German right now and loving it. Sounds like you are tackling quite a few though :) Very nice blog!

    keturahskorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think grammarly is pretty great (I'm using the free version.) It keeps telling me I have word choice problems, lol. How's German? I find the language daunting after my Latin told me it also has declensions-I hate declining nouns in Latin! Thank you so much for visiting!

      Delete
  2. My agency and I discuss how we wish INK had Google Doc functionality plugin like Grammarly does but their Wordpress plugin is easy to use. That means no more pasting text, and INK for All optimizes SEO so it's more relevant.

    ReplyDelete

Let's discuss!