The Birth of My Labyrinth Obsession

       I was going to write a post about the movies I watched, but I doubt Wild or The Purge: Anarchy are of significance compared to Labyrinth.
       I really should have not watched this movie because I can't stop thinking about it. It's been a really bad obsession. There's a song in the movie call Dance Magic and I sing it EVERYDAY. I had to train my friend to respond with the correct lyrics. My fixation with the movie did not stop there. I ended up changing my lock screen to this photo:
Dammit David Bowie/Jareth the Gobling King. Why you do this?!
       To those who are wondering what's wrong with me, I don't know. The movie is really twisted and wasn't "perfection". It's the story that makes an everlasting impression.
       If you don't know, the movie is about a girl named Sarah (Jennifer Connelly, whose acting I find overwhelming and underwhelming) who doesn't want to grow up. She doesn't want to assume the "responsibilities" of grown ups. She is left babysitting her little brother Toby, who never stops crying, so she tells him the story of The Goblin King/The Labyrinth/the goblins. She ends up wishing Toby away by accident. Jareth the Goblin King (David Bowie) greets the distressed Sarah and tells her the only way to retrieve Toby is to venture the labyrinth to the center, where his castle awaits. Sarah goes on the adventure. She meets new friends and does well. Jareth is worried and tries to halt her progress. Blah blah blah, yadda yadda yadda.
       I also should have mentioned this...Jim Henson, THE Jim Henson, the one who created The Muppets, directed the film. So, there are puppets.
       Connelly's acting was over the top and just irritating. Her character was so naive, stubborn, and foolish, as a child should be. She was TOO childish. There was a scene with these red, orange demented things called Fireys. They used a green screen for this scene and it was SO BAD. It was so obvious and made me cringe. Then again, this movie was a fantasy movie for kids from 1986...
       I think the only reason why I really liked this movie was because of David Bowie and his singing. Jareth looked really creepy and for some reason I liked it. *weirded out face, cringing, judging choices* He's really sick if you really think about it.

I liked this movie, but I don't think you should watch it.

2 comments:

  1. Just to feed your Labyrinth addiction there is a fanmade comic called "The Roommates" on DeviantArt. The artist combines The Phantom of the Opera and Jareth as roommates! Here's the link: http://asherhyder.deviantart.com/art/What-Does-He-Have-15766979
    But be careful: it's addicting!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG. I don't know whether to thank you or *inserts a negative scenario*. Now I'm even more obsessed with Labyrinth. It's addicting.

      Delete

Let's discuss!