Eleanor & Park Review

Click for Goodreads

Eleanor & Park
By: Rainbow Rowell
   Two misfits.
   Eleanor: Red hair, wrong clothes. Standing behind him until he turns his head. Lying beside him until he wakes up. Making everyone else seem drabber, flatter and never good enough.
   Park: He knows she'll love a song before he plays it for her. He laughs at her jokes before she delivers the punch line.
   Set over the course of one school year, this is the story of two star-crossed sixteen-year-olds, smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try.

         This is my second time reading this book. The first time I read this, I stopped after there were some sad parts. These parts weren't actually sad. I think I was just emotionally weak and over thought what was happening-I make things a lot worse than they actually are. That is one of my many flaws
         I thought how the relationship developed in this book was okay-a little act of kindness sparking something. There was slight insta-love. It was cute how they bonded over music and comics. But, Park became a little too obsessive.
         I still feel bad for Park, even if he was obsessive. He's a nice guy and willing to change himself to make Eleanor happy. But, she's so evasive and blows things way out of proportion. She's like one of those clingy, annoying girlfriends, that freak out over your ex-girlfriends. She's also really self-conscious. It's like she thinks she's Quasimodo. It's really sad to see that.
         There were some really cheesy romantic lines here and there. I thought this book was going to be raw, coming-of age, realistic fiction book. But, it's Nicholas Sparks. It's so cheesy and unrealistic. It belongs in some fairy-tale. Even though the ending was tragic.
         The writing had its moments.
         This book was pretty over-hyped. My friends loved this book. BookTubers loved this book-no wonder I didn't like this book. They over-hype books, making me have GREAT EXPECTATIONS.
         I really want to DNF this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's discuss!