UNEXPECTED BOOK MAIL

When I heard the doorbell in the evening, I thought it was going to be a neighbor complaining about something, so my dad and I didn't bother to answer the door, but we peeked to see who was there when my mother answered it, as you do. I was surprised and confused when she returned with three packages addressed to me. Books!? But I never ordered any... no one contacted me about winning a giveaway. It's free books, so... 


I am most excited to dig into Forest of a Thousand Lanterns by Julie C. Dao because 1) I've heard great things, 2) it's been on my TBR for ages, 3) Asian representation! I was gifted the gorgeous paperback edition. I love the black background, green foliage (a slight nod to the original green cover,) and the silver emblem and lettering. I think I entered the giveaway solely for this book.
I was also sent Wildcard by Marie Lu, which I'm not very excited about. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for the copy, I just never planned on continuing the series. I liked Warcross, but the ending left little to be desired. Yeah, the plot is exciting, and there are twists, but I've read the plot already. I'm debating if I should continue with the series. What did you think of it?
Give the Dark My Love by Beth Revis caught me by surprise. I haven't been up to date with book news, so I haven't heard anything about it; I've also never read a Beth Revis book-never felt the urge to. I read the synopsis, and I'm not impressed. Oh, Alchemy, cool! The fact that romance is in the synopsis is a red flag: it's going to be romance-centric. Also, the title sounds like a dramatic romance. Necromancy?! I'm torn because it has elements I would enjoy. 
I'm excited to read Dream Country by Shannon Gibney because it is own voices and the plot sounds refreshing: "five generations of young people from a single African-and-American family pursuing an elusive dream of freedom." My only concern is the multiple points of view because my mind can't handle too much at the moment-senioritis is real. I hope I enjoy this novel so I can share it with friends and recommend it to others. 
A huge thank you to Penguin Random House!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's discuss!