REWATCHING GHIBLI IIX, IX, X + BONUS

Pom Poko
I remembered this strange movie as raccoons who can transform with their scrotums hanging out. Even as a child, I got the message of protecting the environment and considering the impact one has on other living creatures: they lay it on pretty thick. With this viewing, which took me most of the day, I didn't feel anything new or develop a newfound appreciation for it as I have for other films. I was amused by the tanuki's antics and dazzled by the animations during the parade full of Japanese mythological figures, but it wasn't exciting or ground-breaking throughout. The plot became repetitive and depressing because of their repeated failures. And when the ending came, it felt sudden and rushed. Am I missing something? It felt like a defeat. Well, it was a defeat after all... This movie is bittersweet: it has adorable and hilarious raccoons, but its final message was, "even if you start paying attention now, it's too late. You should have recognized earlier." 
My Neighbor the Yamadas
This is another movie I watched for the first time and the last time. Looking back, Takahata has been hit or miss for me. Maybe because I loved Only Yesterday so much? The comic book-style animation is beautiful. It's simple, light, and free. Most lines are soft and curved with little to no straight and harsh lines, and the light washes of color feel cozy and nostalgic. It captures the warmth of a family and the feeling of looking back to the past; it also captures the struggles and the rocky dynamics some families may have. The imagery and symbolism used during the first part of the movie are insane: it's like a muted acid trip. For example, they used a variation of The Great Wave and a couple in a boat facing the wave to symbolize the turmoils of marriage. Then, they use possibly every story of where babies come from, like cabbage patches, storks, peaches, and bamboos. I think the last two are more specific to Japanese culture; see Momotaro and The Tale of Princess Kaguya, which, coincidentally, is another Takahata movie, more on that later. Despite all these praises, the movie is mundane. I want my movie experience to transport me from real-life and distract me. It felt like I was watching Crayon Shin-Chan or Chibi Maruko-Chan. 
The Cat Returns
My sister rewatched this before me and told me that it "doesn't hold up," which is why I was skeptical about rewatching it too. I think this movie is incredibly fast-paced, and I was surprised when it finished. It's a funny and quirky story, but there were some inconsistencies and things I found awkward, like why is Baron wearing gloved with five fingers when he has paws. I should have written down the other things I found inconsistent because I forgot. My sister says there's bestiality, which I agree, but I'd like to think there isn't and that Haru is only attracted to Baron's coolness. I think the designs of each cat are superb. I especially love the security cats and how they chucked the stray cats away. There was also the adorable and equally annoying tan/beige advisor cat. The Cat King was terrifying! While I love the animation, it was jarring to see because it's not the characteristic Ghibli style. The faces are rounder and softer; there's no dip near the temple to show the different slopes on the face, which makes the faces look flat along with the lack of shading. The animation becomes more dynamic during Haru's return. This is another story about moving out of adolescence and self-discovery. 

Bonus: Whisper of the Heart
This is a bonus because I know I love this movie, it would be near the top of my list, and I would struggle to compare it with Princess Mononoke. Normally, I am repulsed by romance in works of fiction, but it worked in this movie. I question whether if it's love because it progressed quickly. It is too spiritual for me. While I have my doubts, I loved how they support each other and inspire each other to work harder. I especially loved her book's animations because they are colorful and fun: shining jewels and a bold red. This movie is also mundane and about self-discovery, but it's somehow better than the others and works. 

1. Only Yesterday
2. NausicaƤ
3. Kiki
4. Porco Rosso
5. The Cat Returns
6. Totoro
7. Pom Poko
8. Castle in the Sky
9. My Neighbors the Yamadas
10. Ocean Waves

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's discuss!