TORTURE DOWN TEEN ROMANCE LANE II

Whenever I reread novels like these, I set out to hate them; I'm a more mature reader, I have grown out of this genre, I have read more poignant novels, I have to hate them to prove that I've matured. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this novel, it felt nostalgic! A year ago, I swore off JLA books after reading The Struggle because I hated where it was going, and that I "had" to read another book: I quit cold turkey. After being JLA sober for a year, I went back to my dealer-the bookshelf-and I am allured again. 

I see this complaint in reviews the most, the plot is formulaic and repetitive. When I first read this book, I agreed with that sentiment,  and that the formula ruined the surprise. (If you hate formulaic books, then don't read hers!) Now, I think JLA is a genius. Every one of her novels is a bestseller. She has a loyal fanbase that loves the storyline; because it's the same storyline, they know what to expect, and it will ensure positive reviews, book sales, and profit. They know it's the same plot and that's fine with them. It's not something out of the left field that's hit or miss. By recycling the plot, she improves it each time by adding something new and fine-tunes her writing. The allure you found in the first JLA book you read can be found in her other books, you relive that first experience with each book and new characters. She can churn out books like an assembly line with new upgrades each year, and someone is guaranteed to buy it. 

Few authors can get away with recycling because readers will get sick of the story; authors have to have a unique voice, which she does: humor, sexual tension, reinvention. I read a majority of her novels, and I've enjoyed most, if not all. She is a fantastic writer that knows how to write entertaining, action-packed books. Though I won't be purchasing any more of her books, they are fun to read every now and then. Anyway...

In the beginning, I didn't like Layla's spiel on the "amazing" Wardens, and how woe is me for not fitting in. While she wallows in self-pity, she is bratty, childish, and clueless. Her point of view was unlikable, to say the least. She's was so caught up in her own problems, yet she's unaware of herself. How? 

Roth is one of the saving graces of this series. He's flirty and fun to read, but that's not why he saves the story. He's supposed to be clear-cut evil because he's an all-powerful demon, but his acts of kindness and duality make him an interesting character; I don't consider him a morally gray character because we've only seen his good side, despite knowing his dark past. It was ironic for him to show Layla the good in evil and vice versa. Maybe I'm looking too into it, but I like how JLA plays with good and evil, or it's just another tactic for us to fall in love with Roth. 

I won't lie, some of the humor I found so funny back then felt awkward: "crap on a cracker," "Christ on a crutch," and "awesome sauce with extra sauce." It was cringe-inducing. What is this? Another saving grace of this novel is the elements: biblical/theological-heaven,  hell, The Devil, God-wardens/gargoyles, angels, and demons. People who enjoy Supernatural, like JLA, would enjoy this aspect and the action of the series. The plot starts at the end of the novel, but reading Roth's flirting was an enjoyable buffer. 


The first book is leagues better than this installment. The love triangle was more prevalent, and it felt as though there are only installments just for Layla to spend time with the guy and make a decision. The story alternates between finding the Lilin/fighting evil, and fighting the feelings in their pants. Layla matures a bit: she's less insufferable and bratty, yay! As much as I love Roth, Danika is the MVP, she's mature and vocal about how she feels. She's trying to flip tradition and the oppression she feels in her race. Applause for Danika. 
Reading about Zayne trying to get together with Layla made me uncomfortable for a variety of reasons. He's a brother figure, he's only acting on his emotions because someone challenged him, and I like Roth more-Layla and Roth make sense. After finishing this novel, I didn't feel the same rush to read the next book as when I finished White Hot Kiss. It was boring because there wasn't a legendary showdown that determined the fate of the world; it was romantic fluff, steamy romance, and petty bickering. Do you or do you not love me? Why did you lead me on?


If I had to rank the series from best to worst, it would be the first book, the third book, and then the second book. This installment is romance-centric, but there is more action, and there's an urgency to save the world/take action. I found some twists jaw-dropping and adrenaline-inducing; they propelled the story and made it more than your run-of-the-mill teen romance novel. I loved learning more about the world, meeting Grim, gaining an understanding of Familiars, discovering the Wardens' origins, and uncovering the truths about the angels/Alphas. As much as I love Cayman's sass and attitude, I thought he was a token gay character. His sass helps Layla discover what she wants, and his advice leads her on a journey to uncover a truth. Am I wrong?


Overall Series Rating:

6 comments:

  1. I'm torn between trying it or not now lol :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think you should give it a try. Who knows, you might really enjoy it.

      Delete
  2. I haven't read any of her books. What should I read first if ever?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started with the Lux series (Obsidian is the first book.) I think it's also her most popular series so that's a good start. The main character is a book blogger!

      Delete
  3. I haven't read anything by J.L. Armentrout since the Lux series was super popular years and years ago! This one actually sounds interesting and now I'm intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember the Lux series, good times... If you liked the Lux series, I think you'll also like this series and her Covenant series if you enjoyed Vampire Academy.

      Delete

Let's discuss!