MANGA RECS

I have a short attention span, which is why I often have trouble reading for prolonged periods; I get bored and take many breaks in-between. I also respond better to visuals (I like art), so it doesn't come as a surprise that I enjoy manga and graphic novels. Lately, I've been reading more manga than actual books: I find random ones and continue ones I enjoy. Because my old post about manga was popular, I have more recommendations. (This list is all Shoujo with recent updates. It's ironic how I bemoan romance in novels, but don't mind it in manga.)




Namaikizakari (ongoing) by Mitsubachi Miyuki
Genres: Comedy, Romance, School-Life, Sport

Yuki Machida, a responsible and self-sacrificing basketball club manager, falls in love with Shou Naruse, a talented and popular basketball player. It's your typical Shoujo Romance: good looking guy likes girl, they fall in love, they have cute moments, they have relationship problems, and there's a love triangle. Why do I recommend it? Because you read it so long, you become invested in the story and the characters. You begin to root for the characters to overcome obstacles. Yuki is selfless and disciplined, so it's entertaining to see her out of her element-she is a likable character; I also love their playful dynamic. The basketball games are also exciting. 


Monokuro Shounen Shoujo (completed) by Fukuyama Ryoko

Genre: Comedy, Drama, Fantasy, Romance, School Life

Mimachi Kureha attends a private high school full of beasts as "The Rabbit," where three of the highest scoring beasts protect her: Ukyou (panther,) Chigaya (tiger,) and Chouchou (wolf.) The story follows Kureha's experiences in the school, the beast societies outside of school, her friendship with the beasts, and her romantic relationship with a beast. The author draws Kureha very "ugly" for laughs. The romance will give you whiplash because it's very dramatic: love triangles, ex-lovers, more than friends, and race/specific (apparently, this is the adjective for species) issues. I enjoyed the playful dynamic between the four main characters, especially Ukyou and Kureha's bickering. All of them highly value their friendship and their relationship with each other. I love the beast concept and how it affects the characters' personalities and traits. 


Shinobi Shijuusou (completed) by Himuka Tohru
Genres: Action, Comedy, Romance, School Life, Harem

Chouko Manaka is the heir of a prestigious business. To gain independence, her father challenges her to attend a high school where prominent students study amongst shinobis who aspire to protect them (right-hands.) On her first day, she catches the attention of the most promising shinobi who wants to be her right-hand, but others also covet the spot. Chouko is also a likable protagonist that considers others' feelings. Because of her sheltered upbringing, she has few friends, so she highly values friendship and her relationship with others. Ujou is also one of my favorite characters because he's ridiculous and weird. He's fiercely loyal to Chouko, but also a bit creepy because he's so obsessed with her. Although he appears cheery, he has a terrifying side. 


Tian Mei De Yao Hen (ongoing) by Rui Si and Yi Kai

Genres: Romance, Drama, Supernatural

This is a Chinese web-manga, and I should probably read it in its original text to improve my Chinese, but I barely comprehend it. Xiao Sen is a human and falls in love with Luo Yi, who is an aristocratic vampire. This series has a lot going on: it's forbidden romance, there's a racial war (vampires vs. humans,) there's a lot of drama/betrayal, and there's a lot of chapters (100?). But because I'm trash for vampires/Dracula and the occasional set of star-crossed lovers, I enjoy it. The art is fantastic: great color scheme and beautifully drawn characters. It has consistent updates (a Chinese chapter every 3-ish days.) It's a little mature, and not as sweet/light-hearted as my other recommendations. 


Kamisama Hajimemashita (completed) by Julietta Suzuki

Genres: Comedy, Drama, Fantasy, Romance, Supernatural

Nanami Momozono is driven out of her house because of her father's gambling debts. She meets a man named Mikage, and she tells him about her situation, then Mikage, unknown to Nanami, grants her his god status. Nanami returns to Mikage's abandoned shrine as the new god, where she meets Tomoe, Mikage's familiar. She has a new home and begins to assimilate into her new life. I watched the first two seasons of the anime and loved it, but it didn't give me closure. I picked up where I left off [the anime] with the manga series, but didn't finish reading all of it. I recommend reading the manga first, or else the anime will "ruin" the series for you. I couldn't get into the manga, because I was so in love with the anime. I adore supernatural-shoujo/shounen. I love the couple. I enjoy everyone's backstories-interesting characters. It's also well drawn.

August 19, 2018 Update:

Oh my goodness! I forgot about Takane to Hana!!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's discuss!