ENJOYING TV FOR ONCE

As someone that has boldly claimed to hate TV and prefer movies over in this post, I would like to take back my words because I have recently and immensely enjoyed one, and I mildly enjoyed another one, but we'll get to that later. 
Not exactly sure what compelled me to watch Fleabag, but I am grateful for those impulses. Fleabag is perfect for someone like me with a short attention span because it's fast-paced and exciting: there was never a dull moment with this show, and that's saying something coming for me. While some scenes and some of the content were quite "raunchy," the show also delivers heartfelt moments, like how sisterhood, family, loss/grief, and growth were tackled. The spectacular characterization also helped. Although some characters are self-destructive, frigid, or a douche, they all have moments of vulnerability where viewers start to sympathize with them through great monologues. The writing is exceptional. As everyone's already said, the use of breaking the fourth wall is a smart move because it allows the viewer to become Fleabag's confidant. The chemistry and development in season 2 are divine. This show deserves all of its praise, and I'm sure many other people who usually dislike over-hyped things will also agree this shows deserves all the hype and accolades. 

Though I'm devastated the show has ended, that bittersweet ending was perfect because it left viewers somewhat satisfied and begging for more. In such a short time, viewers grew attached to Fleabag; we are proud of the progress she's already made, but we still want to continue to follow and support her growth journey.
Another declaration I've made quite well known on this blog: Silence of the Lambs is one of my favorite movies, disturbing many people. In my opinion, it’s a fantastic, psychological movie that subtlely tackles the issue of sexism, and it has amazing acting. It shouldn't come as a surprise that I liked Hannibal; it combined my favorite fictional villain with another one of my favorite TV shows, Bones. This review will include spoilers, but it’s been out since 2013, so am I really spoiling anything?
I hate how some stories were abandoned after they served their story-telling purpose, as in, to mirror the murder victims, like the one where Mrs. Crawford tells Mr. Crawford that she has cancer because it felt pointless. I especially hated it when they decided to reintroduce the stories again after the abandonment, Abigail Hobbs. I understand that her story is part of the “over-arching” plot of the first season to find the copycat killer. Still, I think the writers could have done a better job at weaving it into the story, so she consistently flowed with the story and wasn’t abruptly reintroduced. It seemed like, “Oh, we haven’t mentioned Abigail in a while; viewers need to know she’s still alive.” Also, the revelation that she helped her dad, despite denying it for most is the season, felt inconsistent. I know that no one would openly admit that, but it felt suddenly and somewhat forced. Abigail’s treatment is not the only example of negligence. In my opinion, good writing would not waste valuable time to develop something virtually useless: it needs more thought and orchestration. A final note about the writing, my sister feels the writers failed miserably at profundity with random, misplaced dialogue. This went over my head because I wasn’t paying attention, but that’s something others might have issues with when watching this.

The time-lapses to show the passing of time got tired quickly. The acting, the characters, and the cooking scenes were superb. While I liked this show, I do not intend to watch the next seasons because, frankly, I'm not interested anymore.
TL;DR Why are you still reading this?! Go watch Fleabag!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I have heard such amazing things about both of these shows and they have been on my watch list for so long. I really need to get on it because I think I would love these. Especially Fleabag. And I am with you: Silence of the Lambs is amazing. I rewatched it recently and fell in love all over again. I mean, it is just so well done and the acting is amazing. Wonderful post, Vivien! Glad you found some shows to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete

Let's discuss!