LIFE UPDATES

Hello, ma dudes. After all those reviews, I needed to write and upload a discussion post. In a couple of days, I will be graduating! I've been ambivalent toward my school during the four years I was there, but now I'm dreading leaving and going to college. Speaking of college, I got into a Chinese program, and I have to complete 10 lessons before the summer courses... yeah, that's right, summer school-plus, it's not accredited. Chinese is hard: a lot of words to remember, my handwriting is terrible, the characters are difficult to write, etc. I've been taking notes and making Quizlet flashcards to help me remember words.


The professor wanted me to buy a $50 textbook... no, no, no. Being the cheap Asian I am, I'm using Scribd's 30-day free trial. What happens once the trial is over? I canceled it, and they gave me 30 more days! I'm still hell-bent on transferring to an Ivy League because being accepted will give me the validation I so need and want.

I'm attempting to learn the violin by myself; it's not going well, to say the least. I can't play G on the D-string, so I can't play Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. If any of you have played the violin, share with me your wisdom. All of it, not just how to play G on the D-string. PLEASE! The shop that sold me the violin lied; my experience with playing the piano does not help if I can't make any noise. 

I finished my first ever Non-Fiction book, and I hated half of it. I thought the first half of Being Wrong by Kathryn Schulz was very dense and clinical because it was full (pregnant) of obscure facts. I enjoyed the latter half because it felt more anecdotal and fun. I complained about the lack of literary allusions in the first half because there were plenty of segues, but I'm satisfied after discovering some in the latter half. I learned a lot and appreciate the content, though was lost and bored for the most part. I would recommend it, despite the low rating of 1.75/5 stars.

I've been watching a lot of The Return of Superman. I've watched most of the triplet's episodes, and now I'm watching Seungjae's-he's so smart and kind! On the topic of Korean entertainment, I have an unhealthy obsession with Taemin's Press Your Number. More music: Hozier's Wasteland, Baby! I love Movement and No Plan
I'm writing this after learning how to clean my wax-warmer pot. After trial and error, I found that exfoliating the pot with sugar and olive oil got rid of the residual wax the best if you didn't buy the wax equipment cleaner. It scratched the pot, but I don't care after all that struggle to clean it; I scraped myself and bled twice on the pot's sharp lip while cleaning it. 

I think that's pretty much everything that's happened in my life. Be on the lookout for more reviews. 

17 comments:

  1. Congrats on graduating and starting college! Chinese sounds incredibly difficult, but you can do it. I go to a public ivy university and it is so rewarding but also just as frustrating to be honest. As for nonfiction books, I don't tend to enjoy them but I LOVED The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson and I totally recommend it. Good luck with the violin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Erin! Thanks for the rec; it sound interesting. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  2. I've heard that Chinese is hard to learn from multiple people. I love non-fiction but never heard to that book. I'm learning some violin. Do you play another instrument? That will help you a ton. I already play a couple others, and so when I picked up the violin I already had an ear for music ... since you basically need to play violin by ear, you need to be familiar with how notes sound and such. Also, it's all right to sound terrible as you learn .. just don't be too close to other people ;) I'd say just practice and practice and you'll find yourself making less mistakes. Maybe find tutorials on YouTube? Also, there's a fun violin channel called TwoSetViolin or something like that. Check them out --- you'll love it!

    keturahskorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the suggestion. I played piano for about 7-9 years

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on graduating and college! You'll do amazing! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had a Mandarin class during my last summer, and it is fun to learn. It will be easy if you always use it in a conversation, and you always practice writing the characters. Then, the pronunciation, be sure to use the correct tone as it might give a different meaning. :) And congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations. Very proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on graduating!! <3 That's super exciting!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but I'm SUPER anxious about college! Really dreading it-since freshman year of high school tbh.

      Delete
  7. Chinese is a part of university education in many countries and I like Chinese language. Congratulations on your graduation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck for the future ! Great review as well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on graduating, your story remind me when I was young that have been graduate from my school and then continue on college.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations and all the best to your future.

    ReplyDelete

Let's discuss!