MY NEW THOUGHTS ON REBECCA

On numerous occasions, I have hailed Rebecca as one of my favorite books and a Classic I would recommend to covert Classic-haters. Four years after my initial reading, I have a newfound appreciation for the writing and a better understanding of the protagonist, but my qualms with the development were amplified. It pains to me say this, especially since I've praised it for so long and my respect for it, but it can be a real bore! 

On another note, I've also done a little more research on Daphne du Maurier. I found this article from The Guardian, which will open in a new window, incredibly fascinating. Reading this article affected how I read and interpreted Mrs. Danver's spiel after the ball, giving me a whole new perspective on the characters and the author.



Rebecca
by Daphne du Maurier
(cover) Virago Modern Classics | 1938

     The novel begins in Monte Carlo, where our heroine is swept off her feet by the dashing widower Maxim de Winter and his sudden proposal of marriage. Orphaned and working as a lady's maid, she can barely believe her luck. It is only when they arrive at his massive country estate that she realizes how large a shadow his late wife will cast over their lives-presenting her with a lingering evil that threatens to destroy their marriage from beyond the grave. 

Almost two-thirds of the novel serves as an exposition: the couple meeting in Manderly and the protagonist doubting herself the whole time. Everyone around Mrs. de Winter gossip about how great Rebecca was and Mrs. Danvers constantly reminds her how Rebecca used to run things more efficiently. It's only natural Mrs. de Winter begins to doubt herself, and it continues to increase as the story develops. The beginning of the climax begins with a heated and deadly confrontation. Things continue to escalate until the shocking revelation.

Like I mentioned multiple times already, the meek protagonist is in a constant state of doubt. She compares herself to Rebecca, imagines Rebecca's behavior and appearance, and wallows in her "inferiority." At first, I pitied her because I, too, would feel insecure if everyone compared me to this goddess-like person. However, her obsession and inferiority grew old. I wanted to shake her throughout the book to wisen up, not care about what people say, and embrace her new title. I understand that she is young, naive, and has an unremarkable pedigree, but she could have been more assertive and keen to learn. She was too passive. I appreciated the transformation she has during the climax. She confronts, she learns, and she takes charge. It's refreshing to see a different side to her. Her confidence is evident through her change in speech. Before, she gave simple remarks and would appease others; now, she is the one in control.

While I learned to love the dynamic protagonist, I will never appreciate Maxim. I honestly think they have a terrible marriage, and it's all his fault. He doesn't want to communicate, he angers easily, and he belittles Mrs. de Winter. He claims he is attracted to her because she is Rebecca's antithesis, but I never felt those warm feelings. He's always, "Oh, you're so naive. You're such a child. I wish you were always like this." He is incredibly frustrating. 

Du Maurier's prose is a lush and intricate masterpiece. Her descriptions of people moving through their daily life and the environment stimulate all senses, allowing the reader to be transported into the story. Although some colossal paragraphs took an effort to read through because of the sheer amount of detail, the format illustrates this panicked, stream-of-conscious feeling. It also shows Mrs. de Winter's over-active imagination: she makes up many scenarios regarding people in the past, what people are saying behind her back, etc.

Rebecca was not as fabulous as I remembered because the novelty of the revelation is missing. I did not have the same excitement and vigor reading the aftermath of the climax. This is one of the unfortunate drawbacks of rereading, unable to unread a book to experience it again. While some drama delayed the spoiled (the narrator reveals the ending during the beginning of the novel) ending, it is abrupt and leaves readers wanting more. Du Maurier did not spare any detail the whole time writing the novel but decides to give up at the end. What happens to all the employees, how do other characters handle the news, etc.?

1 comment:

  1. I actually read Rebecca this past Summer and I agree with you on nearly all of your points! I tend to dislike "classics" because they are not typically my kind of genre (AKA fantasy). But I really loved the mystery and beautiful prose of Rebecca. But I agree that some scenes can just DRAG and become so boring. Really, it is the atmosphere that drives the novel since the plot is largely uneventful. The protagonists insecurity does become old after a while and her power-dynamic with Maxim always troubled me. He is much older, of course, and although he eventually claims to love her, he does treat her as a child. Anyways, I tend not to reread mysteries for exactly the reason you did not find Rebecca as interesting this time around: the big reveal is already known. That removes a lot of excitement from a story. I also wish we knew what really happened to Manderley at the end. Wonderful review, Vivien!

    ReplyDelete

Let's discuss!