THE GOOD STUDENT: BINGE-WATCHES SEX AND THE CITY INSTEAD OF STUDYING FOR FINALS

I constantly say I hate watching TV shows, but here I am reviewing another "cult classic" show. Like Gossip Girl, I have complicated feelings. 

Let's get this out of the way first:

Samantha is an integral part of the show and one of the few reasons I enjoyed this show. If there's a reboot, and I hope there ISN'T. Kim Cattrall definitely needs to be a part of it. I would want more money, too, considering all the wild shit they had her do. She has the most sex scenes, is nude most of the time, producers made her scream/moan embarrassingly loud before transitioning to opera singing, and she had bozo for pubes! 

She doesn't get paid enough, in my opinion. I enjoyed watching her character grow, and I loved hearing her outrageous comments. Samantha is shocking, fun, and living life the way we would want to: unapologetically. The way the writers fleshed out her character to show a more vulnerable side was also fantastic.

I understand we live in a Carrie Bradshaw world, and everyone is just revolving around her, but Carrie's characterization and storyline weren't my favorite. I love her friends, even Charlotte, more than her! That's saying a lot because Charlotte really got on my nerves in the first three to five seasons, which is like 80% of the entire show... 

Back to Carrie, she's a static character with a great personality. She repeatedly falls for the wrong men, even when she learns that she falls for the wrong men. She ends up where she started in the very first episode of the show but at a somewhat better place relationship-wise. 

And did she really learn anything? Miranda learns to open up and falls in love. Charlotte reevaluates what the perfect marriage or ending is. Yes, I rooted for Carrie to have a happy ending. I just don't think she's the best MC. Sometimes flaws make the character more loveable and developed, but she never overcomes these "flaws." I understand she is the glue that holds the friendship together; that can't be her ONLY role.

I love the friendship between the four girls, especially when it's a non-Carrie and non-Carrie dyad. I wish there were more interactions between Miranda and Samantha because they're hilarious and my favorite characters. This friendship was not explored enough; neither were Miranda-Charlotte and Charlotte-Samantha. 

I rarely watch TV shows that are all about girl power, single life with your best friends, or navigating through life/sex/love, so this show was refreshing. The novelty started to wear off because I felt that the plot was repetitive. 

I enjoyed the first season because it felt like a newbie that is excited to prove themselves. I miss those interviews Carrie had to write her columns. I also love the last season because of where the characters ended mentally and physically: their growth, relationships, etc. The seasons in between were a bit meh. 

Overall, I could not stop watching this addicting show. The fashion is questionable at times (whoever let SJP wear these huge boutonnieres for an entire season and that god-awful outfit when she went wedding dress shopping with Miranda needs to be fired.) There is a lot of suspension of disbelief. The friendship is adorable. I had a great laugh. I teared up a little bit. I was cheering for all the characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's discuss!