READING AND WATCHING NANA + "SPOILER"

When I ask for Shoujo recommendations, the internet always recommends Nana. I have been avoiding it like the plague because it's been on hiatus for years, and I am someone who likes to read completed mangas/stories. I decided to bite the bullet, and I have so many regrets. 

I have read all available chapters, watched the entire anime, and occasionally listen to the music from the anime. Sadly, the anime is not up to date with the manga. I feel so incomplete.

I do not think the art style and visuals are standout to the point where I must frame everything and tell everyone to bask in its beauty. If you've read/watched Paradise Kiss, it's similar pretty much exactly the same. Super tall, skinny characters in fashionable clothes. Plus, they have large, pretty eyes and long lashes with pointy chins. They are pretty characters.

I think the fashion, specifically the punk style, is the most noteworthy. The characters all look very cool and stylish. If you like fashion, you will love Ai Yazawa's work. Her fashion in Nana made me look at Vivienne Westwood's jewelry.

What I really enjoyed about both the anime and manga is the platonic relationships. I think the relationship between the Nanas is so special; you meet someone by chance and hit it off. The love and support they have, even when their friendship is strained. 

Everyone hates Junko because she's always "talking shit" about Nana and lecturing her, but I disagree. I like Junko's character, even though she's not flawless (who is?), because she's trying to advise Nana/Hachi neutrally. If your boyfriend was cheating on you, would you want to hear from someone else or straight from the boyfriend? Both scenarios are terrible, but it would feel worse to hear from someone else. (This technically isn't a spoiler because it's been out for more than 20 years.)

As always, I think the manga is superior. There is a cuter side to Ren. We have more insight into the Nanas' thoughts (the anime does a great job at this too.) We see just how AWFUL Takumi is. I also loved Shin and Nana's (Hachi's) relationship in the manga. I think the manga is more well-rounded, but that's a given. 

The drama in this story is... dramatic and complex. It navigates love in your 20s, achieving your dreams, your relationships, growing up, etc. The characters are emotionally realistic, and sometimes the issues are gray. 

Nana deserves all the praise and hype, so definitely read or watch it if you have the chance. I hope Ai Yazawa's health improves and that we see what happens to our beloved characters one day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's discuss!