MY LITTLE ADVENTURE IN HORROR

I never liked Horror because jump scares are the worst! I think jump scares are cheap cop-outs that screenwriters resort to because they can't build suspense and make people feel scared. I also never like Horror because I'm a total scaredy-cat. Now that I live in a Horror movie, courtesy of America's current political situation, Horror movies don't seem so scary anymore! I do not claim to be an expert in Horror.

Before my recent Horror kick, I've watched a couple "scary" shows and movies. I watched American Horror Story, which isn't all that scary, it has shock value. (I watched Asylum and Coven, I like the latter the most. I felt uncomfortable watching Murder House because weird things happened to Vivian. Freakshow and Hotel were shit.) I watched Penny Dreadful, which I love and recommend. It's set in Victorian England and has numerous fictional book characters. I watched As Above, So Below, but that was shit too. The only Horror movie I enjoyed was The Silence of the Lambs. A former classmate hit the nail on the head when he said I would enjoy it. The movie has great actors, a great story, and intriguing characters. I also watched ScreamThe Craft, Carrie, and The Cabin in the Woods, but that's irrelevant.

Now that we're up to speed, I can talk about my recent Horror Binge. I started with Kubrick's The Shining. I didn't read Stephen King's book, nor do I plan to, before I watched it. I watched the movie for the sole purpose to understand why it's iconic. I know David Lynch, creator of Twin Peaks, was influenced by him. Lynch and Kubrick have a lot of tracking shots and both incorporate montages that give my eyes seizures. (I was watching Twin Peaks: The Return episode 8, and I thought I got high. Apparently, that montage is courtesy of Kubrick... thanks a lot for making me dazed and confused!) Influence aside, I enjoyed The Shining. I don't want to review the movie because I suck at describing things, yet I have a book review website.
Then, I watched Nosferatu, which is a silent, black and white movie from 1922. Nosferatu was an unauthorized adaptation of Bram Stoker's Dracula. You know those memes about people copying your homework, but they have to change it so it doesn't look like they copied your homework? That's what Nosferatu is! I enjoyed the sinister, instrumental music throughout the film. I also thought it was interesting how the movie was colored differently to illustrate the time of day. However, Hutter is the pinnacle of moronic characters in Horror films. Such an idiot! Count Orlok isn't a scary vampire. His stiff movement and the way the movie was captured made his character comedic. Orlok is a less talkative Fester Addams.


I watched part of The Hills Have Eyes (1977) and stopped because the characters were too moronic. Honestly Brenda! After that miss, I watched A Nightmare on Elm Street. I have one thing to say about this movie, "God bless you Nancy for not being a dumb ass!" I'm thinking about watching The Grudge... wish me luck and send a night light!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's discuss!