SO I HAD A LOT OF TIME ON MY HANDS...


Jujutsu Kaisen
Manga artist: Gege Akutami
Studio: MAPPA
Anime release: October 3, 2020
Genres: Adventure, Dark Fantasy, Supernatural, Shounen

Why did it watch it? I'm not entirely sure. Would I recommend it? Yes, if you like the normal Shounen tropes: the camaraderie between the protagonist and basically everyone he comes in contact with, decent action scenes, and the occasional humorous/heartfelt moment. 

The characters are well-developed and all enjoyable. At first, I disliked Nobara Kugisaki because her personality is grating. Towards the middle and end, I started warming up to her and enjoying her fight sequences. I think her abilities are really cool, and when she brought out her toy hammer, I lost my shit. It's fun watching her fight because she has more variety compared to, say, Megumi Fushiguro. Last thing before Meg, her backstory is kind of whack. Still don't understand how it motivates her, but ok, you do you.

Megumi: "Cool, you summon animals." I'm oversimplifying his abilities, but I found his fights dry af until the last episode. I guess I'm part of the minority that finds his character somewhat boring. He's strong, is smart, he has a decent backstory, etc. He still feels like he's just there so Yuuji Itadori has a rival/benchmark/purpose. 

Yuji Itadori is the typical protagonist: kinda dumb, pretty funny, and super over-powered. I also enjoyed watching his fight scene, especially with Todo. (I found some of  most of Todo's dialogue cringe and cheesy, but their fight was a pivotal part of Itadori's growth to be the most OP character.) 

Tokyo round-up: Gojo's Japanese voice actor... OOF. I like Nanami's character. Can't wait to see more of Panda. Maki is great. Inumaki is also pretty whack; I expected more from him, but I would like to see his backstory.

We're just going to pretend the Kyoto school doesn't exist, but I will say I was shook when their principal pulled out an electric guitar. The story has some unexpected moments, which I appreciate. 

The cursed spirits all have great designs. The story dabbles in discussing "morality and ethics." The anime does a great job at explaining the world and powers. 

Overall, I liked the anime and will probably watch season 2 (if there is one.) It's short, so you can finish it in two days. There are likable characters, some comedy, and exciting fight scenes. The story is somewhat predictable, but what do you expect! I will consider reading the manga. 

Update: I started reading the manga. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's discuss!