THE LAST OF REWATCHING GHIBLI

When I hear "Kaguya," I immediately think of the villain from Naruto. In some way, Naruto Kaguya and this film's Kaguya are similar: they have a relationship with the moon, but I'm grasping for straws. I didn't realize that I've been exposed to Kaguya's legend until I started watching the movie; when I was younger, I watched this Hello Kitty adaptation of the story. I think The Tale of Princess Kaguya is a beautiful film that illustrates parents' unconditional love for their children and their desire to provide children with all their desires. Kaguya is not their children by blood, but her parents love her as though she was their own. This movie also shows that what you perceive is best for your child/what will make them happy won't necessarily make them happy. Excuse the virtue ethics: a simple good life with good food and friends in nature will suffice to achieve eudaimonia. 

I found Kaguya to be ahead of her time because she rejects societal norms for women in "ancient" Japan (I'm not sure what period it is, so I will just refer to it as "ancient.") She wants to look like herself, and live in a free world without societal pressures. The art is a departure from the expected and standard Ghibli style, which I welcome with open arms! It was incredibly refreshing and beautiful: it "simple." It implements watercolors to elicit the feel of paintings used to tell stories/traditional watercolor paintings. It's incredibly soft and warm. I especially adored the Sakura trees! Not only can the style show elegance and softness, but it can also show anger with strong black strokes, which is evident in her "breakdown."
When Marnie first came out, I was not down for it; it looked boring to me. For some context, all I saw about the movie was the image above. The blues are gorgeous, but I wasn't wowed or first in line at movie theaters. I settled with reading the summary, as I do with most movies I don't want to watch, but I still want to know what happens. Boy, was I an idiot!

Maybe it's because I've never seen these movies, but I enjoyed both of them; I'm so happy that this "project" will end on such a high note! 

My feelings weren't always positive. At first, I was so bored, and I did not like Anna: she was a bit too angsty/moody. Once she came out of her shell, became more confident with herself, and more cheery, I was more invested with her character. It's such a joy to see her character development. The storytelling is fantastic and unique. The story excels at tugging at viewers' heartstrings: I was bawling at the end of the film! It's such a beautiful and movie story about familial ties/what it means to be family and love. It's such a beautiful message, and the way they weave real-life with the diary entries is masterful. I want to say more, I have so much to say, but I don't want to spoil it for anyone. Please watch the movie, and I'll find a way to discuss it with you somehow! The movie absolutely delivers on the storytelling, but I wouldn't say the animations are 200%. The art is fantastic: I love the Oiwa's house, the paintings, the drawings, the characters' emotions, etc. But it's not as standout as it's made out to be. Geez, it's like I only know how to give back-handed compliments... I think there are more stunning and standout animations in recent years, so it's hard to be blown away. 

The Final Ranking w/ Some Justification:
1. Only Yesterday: the novel animation, it's for an older audience.
2. NausicaƤ: strong female protagonist, environmental protection, imaginative.
3. When Marnie Was There
4. Tale of Princess Kaguya
5. Kiki: explores the struggles of becoming an independent adult/confident in oneself.
6. From Up on Poppy Hill: surprisingly touching story with grittier art.
7. Porco Rosso: the feminism, yeah, that's about it... I kinda regret ranking it so high earlier. What crack was I smoking?
8. Ponyo: AMAZING art.
9. Arrietty: great animation, imaginative.
10. The Cat Returns: a fun story about one's journey to self-confidence.
11. Totoro: it's just cute and iconic.
12. Pom Poko: a strong message for environmental protection with great animation that incorporates Japanese mythology.
13. The Wind Rises: great art, not the biggest fan of the story.
14. Castle in the Sky: ugh, I was not a fan of Pazu. Loved the pirates!
15. My Neighbors the Yamadas: "experimental" art, but too mundane. The first couple of minutes were exciting, so I was disappointed with the rest of the movie.
16. Tales of Earthsea: too ambitious, boring, lacking.
17. Ocean Waves: we don't talk about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's discuss!