I HAVEN'T BEEN READING, BUT ARE WE REALLY SURPRISED?

This semester is kicking my butt with these lengthy, but not always unbearable, readings and numerous homework assignments—the usual suspects. I'm mainly reading translations of Modern Chinese fiction, American-Latin American relationships, and racism in the United States. I've tried getting back to reading, like Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Murakami, but I was so lost on the first page, which could be due to my mental state or the fact that it's a Murakami novel. I recently deleted Animal Crossing Pocket Camp, so I have more free time, which will be dedicated to watching films/movies. If you got a movie recommendation, send it my way! 

For my Modern Chinese Fiction course, my professor asked students to watch this silent movie called New Women / New Woman (1935), directed by Cai Chusheng. This movie was painful to watch because Wei Ming really can't catch a break! This is an outstanding Feminist film that illustrates what it's like to be a woman during the 1930s in China, how men view and treat women, how women treat women, etc. I admire Wei Ming's character because she knows her self worth, and she continues to persevere, despite all her hardships and obstacles. While I admire her and understand that she is the leading lady, Ah-Ying stole the show, in my opinion. She's the true feminist icon: she fights back, empowering others, and forward-thinking. The ending is tragic because it shows how men of that period have absolutely no regard for a woman's humanity. Even if a woman wants to fight back, flourish, and triumph, there are these obstacles that hinder her.

My friend Natalia recommended Valerie and Her Week of Wonders, and I, honestly, don't know what to say about it. This is my second time watching it, but the first time I've watched it through, and it was just as weird, confusing, and uncomfortable to watch as the first time. This movie is gorgeous and dreamy with amazing visuals. The music and sounds add to the story and contribute to the overall fantasy. The story is nonlinear and forces the viewer to make sense of the madness, just like Valeris has to make sense of the madness around her. After watching, I scoured the internet to analyze what this movie meant, what happened, and if I was the only one that was lost. Thankfully, everyone is just as lost as I was. The common answer is this is a coming-of-age, discovery of sexuality film. 

If you look at any list of best cinematography or films ever, Akira Kurosawa will most definitely be on the list. My first, and probably last, Kurosawa film was Dreams. I enjoyed the first two dreams mostly because they pertain to Japanese mythology, but I lost interest along the way. The movie is a cinematic masterpiece, but it's not the typical story that I enjoy. I love drama, action, or psychological thrillers. I found it hard to appreciate because it's not what I usually watch, and I wanted something else. 

Most of these films are on Youtube, which has the greatest feature, changing videos' speed. I make everything 2X speed, and golly was Daisies a trip. This movie is fun, quirky, and fast-paced. The plot is non-existent. It's just two indulgent friends pranking those around her; they have such expressive faces! I genuinely loved the cinematography because it's eclectic: black and white, color, and filter. 

The Red Shoes is my favorite movie on this list. The story reminded me of Marguerite from The Lady of the Camellias because the female protagonist has to choose between love or something else, like her lover's reputation in LoTC and dancing in the movie. I was struck by the tragedy of women; why must a woman choose between two things, why must she be judged for picking one on the other, why can't she have both, and why do men always seem to be the root of their problems? The dancing sequences are dreamlike and beautiful; the cinematography, in general, is superb. The music is great. The acting is fantastic too.

I was expecting horror from Nosferatu 1979, but I got more pervy-Dracula trying to get it on with Lucy. If you search this movie, most of the pictures are of Dracula biting Lucy's neck in a compromising position. And if you watched the movie, you would Dracula does some other creepy things leading up to it. Long story short, I prefer the 1922 silent film more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's discuss!