REWATCHING GHIBLI IV

Unfortunately for me, I could only find a dubbed version of this movie, so parts of the story are a little different than the Japanese version. I was hesitant to rewatch this movie because I always felt ambivalent towards it as a child. It's cute, watch it once, move on. I don't remember itching to watch this movie when my uncle took and lost my CD versions: I didn't feel much of a loss. While Kiki's Delivery Service is lighter than some Ghibli films, it has more depth than My Neighbor Totoro. There is both naivety and maturity to the story that makes it alluring and rewatchable at any age. 


As always, the art is fantastic. Look at the poster! It even has a reflection in the glass! There is a beautiful attention to detail in every frame. The way the grass moves, the clouds, the bustle of the city, the flowers, the lights, the cobblestones, etc. I love the vibrant color palette. There are pops of red, a vast sea of blue, and contrasting darks. Kiki's design has a perfect balance of dark, light, and color. I also loved the other characters' designs. For example, I found Osono absolutely adorable because of her roundness and color palette (I love pale green/green in general.) I was surprised by Osono's husband's personality. I remembered him as a stoic and standoffish character; this time, I found him incredibly playful and delightful. He's a delightful character because his personality starkly contrasts with his appearance. What I find a bit odd is they don't talk to each other much throughout the film, despite being expecting husband and wife AND business partners. Overall, I loved how soft the movie looked. 

I also found the setting unique because I could never pin it down. Because of the soundtrack, I was immediately transported to Italy and France, but then France started to not make sense because the snobby senior witch that specializes in match-making lands in a city with a prominent red windmill. Since Kiki moves further west, towards the coast, Portugal! But once I saw the lettering on buildings and signages, I guessed the Netherlands. I don't know what Dutch looks like, nor do I understand geography. After searching it up, the movie has Swedish influences. Didn't get that, but okay! The ambiguous setting is both frustrating and praiseworthy: Miyazaki created, yet another, unique world. 

Usually, when I watch movies, I check to see how much of it I have left because I get bored quickly. This didn't happen this time because I was lost and immersed in the story. The little adventures Kiki goes on and the people she meets along the way all reappear, so everything feels interconnected and purposeful. These people help shape Kiki into a more confident young adult. 

As much as I enjoyed this movie, it's not the best. It's a great movie, but I am a pretentious person someone that likes "dramatic" stories. My favorite movies consist of The Professional, Silence of the Lambs, American Beauty, Princess Mononoke, Fight Club, etc. I guess you can say I like my movies dark, gritty, or just fucking weird. I don't find this movie as profound and substantial as Nausicaä, but it's leagues ahead of Totoro. Y'all already know my qualms with Castle in the Sky

1. Nausicaä
2. Kiki
3. Totoro
4. Castle in the Sky

1 comment:

  1. This will always be my all time favorite Ghibli film. The art, Gigi, all of it. It has such a gorgeous aesthetic and quaint vibe. I have grown up watching and rewatching this movie. I don't really see Swedish influences either, but then again I have never been to Sweden. I typically prefer more action packed/dramatic films as well but this one is wrapped in nostalgia for me and I find it to be quite calming.

    ReplyDelete

Let's discuss!