30% ON ROTTEN TOMATOES DIDN'T STOP ME


Earwig and the Witch
Goro Miyazaki
December 30, 2020 (JPN)
    A headstrong orphan discovers a world of spells and potions while living with a selfish witch.


As someone who's done a whole series about Rewatching Ghibli (this link will direct you to this blog's Ghibli label,) it only seemed right for me to review the latest Ghibli film. I had many reservations going into this movie: it has terrible ratings, and Goro is directing... If you read my Tales of Earthsea review, you know how I don't entirely trust his creative direction. I gained a little trust back after From Up on Poppy Hill, but...

I didn't love Earwig. I can't tell whether I want the movie shorter or longer. For most of the movie, I was waiting for something to happen. I wanted to learn how the dynamics changed and how the story continues after reintroducing somebody during the ending. Also, the ending felt a tad rushed. TL;DR: the plot needs a total revision.

I'm also not the biggest fan of the art style. Baby earwig was super cute, but the characters' hair looked plastic-y and helmet-like. It reminds me of dolls that have changeable hairstyles/plastic wigs. I've been bemoaning Ghibli to change their art style a little, but I am also not pleased when they do. I am impossible to please. I appreciate the venture into 3D. The character designs were interesting (very emotive, isn't afraid to look nasty.) Exhibit A:

Earwig and Thomas looking shook.

If you liked Chihiro's face when she led the polluted river to the baths, Yubaba's livid face, Sophie's hat, Kiki's red bow, Jiji, and a Western feel, you'd enjoy something about this film. I wasn't all that invested in the characters. I want their relationship to develop more because that ending was too jostling. It's sweet, just a complete and sudden 180. I agree with reviewers who said this movie lacks the subtle emotional depth you have with most Ghibli movies. I think that's also what was missing in Tales of Earthsea. Goro doesn't know how to subtlety manipulate emotion and develop characters like Hayao Miyazaki yet. 

That being said, I'm glad I didn't know Earwig was going to be released because it would have been a MAJOR letdown. It's cute, but not the most enjoyable viewing experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's discuss!