SPOOKY SEASON | MY FAVORITE HALLOWEEN MOVIES

When I see posts that countdown to Halloween, or excited posts related to Halloween before Halloween, I roll my eyes. It's JUST Halloween, calm down! Once it's around the corner, I get caught up with the festive spirit; that's the thing with any holiday-they're infectious. When I used to watch TV, I loved the movie marathons because they got you into the mood. Here's a list of some of my favorite movies, and hopefully it gets you into festive spirits. 


CORALINE
The stop-motion/art is beautiful-just look at that garden scene! The score is fantastic, it's one of my favorites-the eerie choir and instrumentals. There's a stark contrast of bleak reality and exciting fantasy-the real world vs. the other world. Coraline is a spunky character, and the Other Mother is terrifying. I love the use of color.


PAN'S LABYRINTH
This movie isn't necessarily scary/a Halloween movie, but the fantasy elements are a little creepy: Faun, the toad, the Pale Man, and the bugs... While there are fantastical elements, it also includes history; the film takes place during World War II in Spain. Again, love the color grading and palette, though the lighting is too dark in some scenes. 

SILENCE OF THE LAMBS
This is one of my favorite movies of all time, which some people find off-putting: Is she okay; should we be worried? One reason why I love this movie is the acting. Anthony Hopkins/Hannibal Lecter is terrifying. If I was trapped in a dark room, and someone played Hopkins' hissing noise, I would be scared to death. Jodie Foster's portrayal of Clarice Starling: feminist film icon, in my opinion. The ending, the night-vision scene, was very suspenseful and enjoyable. I wouldn't recommend the movie "sequel," Hannibal.

THE ADDAMS FAMILY
I used to be obsessed with the Addams Family, still am. I've watched both television series-the B&W and the cartoon-and the movies. Wednesday Addams is my mood and icon; Morticia and Gomez are relationship goals. Imagine being that in love with someone! They are supportive, loving, and have a strong sense of family. They're different, but they are great people. This is an ESSENTIAL movie.

THE SHINING
I had a "horror" movie binge during the summer and loved this film. There's nothing to say about this film because it's already been said, and it's a movie you just have to watch. 

SCREAM
I watched this movie multiple times because it entertained me: it satirized horror tropes, and there was slight subterfuge, which keeps you on your toes. 

A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET

This is another "favorite horror" film because I thought it was smart. I was slightly aggravated with the characters stupidity, but not "The Hills Have Eyes" level. In fact, I was quite pleased with the characters; they were smart and tried to outsmart Freddie Kreuger. 

THE WITCHES
I love Roald Dahl books-huge part of my childhood, got me into reading. I think the movie adaptations have preserved the integrity of his works. The transformation of the witches... absolutely vile... I love Angelica Huston, but I couldn't look at her after the movie: amazing prosthetics and make-up. It's a whimsy story, with a little scare, that many kids would enjoy. 

HOCUS POCUS
This was a childhood favorite because of Winifred Sanderson. I found her wicked, dramatic personality and costume very impactful: I couldn't forget about the movie. Mary Sanderson's voice is ingrained in my head and makes me laugh; she's hilarious. Sarah Sanderson was my beauty icon.   

HALLOWEENTOWN/RETURN TO HALLOWEENTOWN
Again, another childhood favorite. The first and last movies are my favorite, I try not to think about the ones in-between. Return to Halloweentown is my favorite sole because of Jesse McCartney's "Right Where You Want Me." That's my favorite scene in the whole movie, and I was obsessed with that song/him.

THE CRAFT

Fairuza Balk, and that ending... no words.

THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW
One of the few musicals I enjoy-real catchy tunes. Eccentric, whimsy, and other-worldly characters with huge personalities. Tim Curry is amazing, I love Susan Sarandon, Columbia's costume is gorgeous, and I want to go as Magenta for Halloween.

1 comment:

Let's discuss!