TRAIN TO BUSAN REVIEW

I find this really weird. I am a book review site, but I get more views on non-book reviews, except for my old/incomplete Raven Cycle discussion post, which for some unknown reason, does very well. How do I replicate it for future posts? Granted, it's 3 years old, but even my 4-year-old posts don't get have the same view count. Anyway, here's my review of Train to Busan.


Train to Busan

Director: Yeon Sang-ho

Release: July 2016 (South Korea)

Genre: Horror/Action

        A man, his estranged daughter and other passengers become trapped on a speeding train during a zombie outbreak in South Korea.

This movie was great. I never expected I would end up crying during a Horror/Action movie, but I did. This is what horror movies should be. And what I mean is, there are no jump scares. The movie focuses on building suspense, having audience members hold their breaths on the edge of their seats. The audience is on an adventure; they are cheering on the characters and sympathizing with them. This is good horror writing. Explore the characters' relationships, explore their humanity, and have them go on an emotional rollercoaster. 

Jump scares are truly cop-outs. Build the ambiance!

This movie succeeds because it illustrates a father's love for his daughter. I'm tearing up just thinking about it! I can't see what I'm typing. He goes to lengths to make sure she survives. When the world is going to shit, it's nice to know someone loves you and will protect you. There is also a father's love for his unborn daughter and his wife. 

Another reason this movie succeeds: its exploration of human morals. How will we act when our lives are at stake? Will we act morally, or will we abandon all morals for self-interest? What are we willing to sacrifice, and will we be strong enough to make those sacrifices when the time comes? For example, even amidst the chaos, the young girl, Soo-An, still remains moral and compassionate. When she sees an elderly woman standing up, she gives up her seat because she remembers her grandmother with bad knees. We might also end up like Machiavellian Yon-Suk to save our own asses. 

The movie also has some psychological aspects. We become paranoid in the face of danger, which makes us do irrational and harmful things, such as hoarding toilet paper, food, antibacterial products, and masks, which results in a shortage for others. 

Although I enjoyed this movie and appreciated the writing, it is a horror movie, after all, which means characters do some dumb shit. Just close the door! I'm going to watch more horror and "horror" films, so I have to quickly get used to the stupidity.

Have you watched Train to Busan?
Did you sob uncontrollably like I did?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's discuss!