ACOWAR REVIEW



A Court of Wings and Ruin (ACOTAR #3)
by Sarah J. Maas
Bloomsbury | May 2, 2017
       Feyre has returned to the Spring Court, determined to gather information on Tamlin's maneuverings and the invading king threatening to bring Prythian to its knees. But to do so she must play a deadly game of deceit-and one slip may spell doom not only for Feyre, but for her world as well.
       As war bears down upon them all, Feyre must decide who to trust amongst the dazzling and lethal High Lords-and hunt for allies in unexpected places.
A Court of Wings and Ruin was my most anticipated book of 2017. I read A Court of Thornes and Roses and didn't enjoy it. I didn't plan to read A Court of Mist and Fury because of this, but I did, and it's my favorite Sarah J. Maas book to date. I was over the moon when I received my copy. I was prepared to embark on this emotional rollercoaster ride.
I need to get this out first: ACOWAR wasn't my favorite book, sorry. I liked it, but I didn't love it. If you saw my review for ACOMAF, you know that I had an issue with the pacing, it was slow. ACOWAR is paced decently, which disappointed me, lol. It seemed relatively faster and rushed compared to its predecessor, maybe because it's shorter. I expected it to be dragged out and full of sassiness, especially since it's "the last." ACOWAR cuts to the chase and there isn't a playfulness to it. I loved the second book because of the Feyre & Rhysand dynamic. I love their flirting and the tension between them. I also loved the ease, comfort, and familiarity of the inner circle. I know they're on the brink of war, but the story doesn't have the same bite. It felt like a vital part was missing. ACOWAR was like Feyre wasting away in the Spring Court after Amarantha, yikes!

Since this is the last book, expect a lot of theatrics. It's an epic and bittersweet conclusion that has you hooked from page one. You'll meet the rest of the courts, high faes, and other beings. You'll learn a lot of juicy, jaw-dropping secrets. You will cry and make cries of outrage. Expect to be in a book slump because this book will ruin you! There is an exciting war/action sequence. Basically, there's a lot of shit happening.
I really want to talk about the characters, but I don't want to spoil anyone. So be as vague as possible? Everyone tries to be "selfless" and heroic, but they don't consider the consequences of their actions. It's ironic how characters attempt to be selfless but they're actions are ultimately selfish. It felt as if everyone was trying to out hero each other. Characters go through even more growth, and they come to terms with their flaws. They go through so much change, making them perfect, which bothers me. Perfection is boring and overrated, it makes things uninteresting. 

Overall, exciting book with too many sex scenes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's discuss!