THE BITCHY GIFS ARE BACK! SO IS MY SWEARING!



Archer's Voice
Mia Sheridan
Createspace | January 1, 2014
Status: Complete
          When Bree Prescott arrives in the sleepy, lakeside town of Pelion, Maine, she hopes against hope that this is the place where she will finally find the peace she so desperately seeks. On her first day there, her life collides with Archer Hale, an isolated man who holds a secret agony of his own. A man no one else sees.
          Archer's Voice is the story of a woman chained to the memory of one horrifying night and the man whose love is the key to her freedom. It is the story of a silent man who lives with an excruciating wound and the woman who helps him find his voice. It is the story of suffering, fate, and the transformative power of love.
I really didn't plan on reviewing this book because it's a romance book. I feel and think it's silly belittling a romance book. I know I'm not supposed to expect a profound, life changing piece of "literature", so critiquing the negatives about this book is wasting my breath. But here I am! Hypocrite Game Strong. I don't even know why I picked this book up or why it stayed on my TBR for so long.

I read a review saying this book will touch my heart and make me feel things all over, AKA my lady bits. I didn't feel much. There was cute fluff that made me smile. It pains me to admit this aloud. That's pretty much the extent of my feelings. There was also this AMAZING feeling: repulse. "Thank you" to my friend you recommended this book to me.
The whole book takes place in a tiny town in the middle of no where. You know what that means? Nosey neighbors that know everything about everyone and everything. I hate it when people are all up in my bizz-nazz. A lot of town gossip about the town's "Boo Radley". There's such a dramatic back story to Archer that just makes you grimace and shake your head rapidly. His mother was the center of attention of 3, I think it was, very attractive men, who just happen to be brothers. Woohoo... *eye roll* Then, history kind of repeats itself with Bree. She's the only person who isn't scared of Archer and "confronts" him. I thought the incorporation of ASL is great, it added a bit of diversity. But, the characters ended up falling in love and having a lot of sex. (This isn't even a spoiler, this is classic romance tropes)

WHERE IS THE PLOT?!?!?! WHAT IS THE PLOT? Oh wait, there is no plot. Ugh, romance.
There is no such thing as Too many middle finger gifs

This whole book sounded like a whatever-year-old writing smutty fanfiction. I say this a lot, but it's true. The writing style is so juvenile. It sounds like something I can write. There's also this weird, unrealistic relationship. How come one girl changes EVERYTHING? Romance books set up such an unrealistic standard for everyone. The characters are fucking flawless. One dimensional characters cut from the cloth of annoyingly perfect little shits. Bree is always thinking about Archer's totally hot bod/how he's hawt afffff. It's a good time to bring up, "Beauty is only skin deep", but apparently he's beautiful on the inside too. Come on...

The synopsis describes Archer as this "broken" and beautiful guy, but I never sympathized for him or found him compelling. The author's attempt to create a flaw is a flunk. Then there's Bree, being all approachable and nice to the quiet misunderstood man in town. When you're Bella Swan af. I found her attempts to break down Archer's walls really invasive and creepy. The foundation of their romance is on stalking and coitus.

No comments:

Post a Comment