PARODY OF GOOD AND EVIL



The School for Good and Evil (#1)
by Soman Chainani
Publishing: May 14, 2013 | HarperCollins
Status: DNF
         The first kidnappings happened two hundred years before. Some years it was two boys taken, some years two girls, sometimes one of each. But if at first the choices seemed random, soon the pattern became clear. One was always beautiful and good, the child every parent wanted as their own. The other was homely and odd, an outcast from birth. An opposing pair, plucked from youth and spirited away.
         This year, best friends Sophie and Agatha are about to discover where all the lost children go: the fabled School for Good & Evil, where ordinary boys and girls are trained to be fairy tale heroes and villains. As the most beautiful girl in Gavaldon, Sophie has dreamed of being kidnapped into an enchanted world her whole life. With her pink dresses, glass slippers, and devotion to good deeds, she knows she’ll earn top marks at the School for Good and graduate a storybook princess. Meanwhile Agatha, with her shapeless black frocks, wicked pet cat, and dislike of nearly everyone, seems a natural fit for the School for Evil.
         But when the two girls are swept into the Endless Woods, they find their fortunes reversed—Sophie’s dumped in the School for Evil to take Uglification, Death Curses, and Henchmen Training, while Agatha finds herself in the School For Good, thrust amongst handsome princes and fair maidens for classes in Princess Etiquette and Animal Communication.. But what if the mistake is actually the first clue to discovering who Sophie and Agatha really are.
         I received this book from a book exchange with my friend during Christmas. I felt hesitant taking it. I saw this book on goodreads and it piqued my interest. Then, I visited Barnes & Noble and sampled it. I hated Sophie's inner-dialogue/Sophie in general right off the bat. I thought she was incredibly vain and self-centered/absorbed. I also felt that the book was extremely juvenile, even for a middle grade book. So, I left it on the display table at B&N. Upon revisiting, my opinions have not wavered. She's still so damn irritating. I only read 110 pages and that was more than enough. Each page made me want to gouge my eyes with gold pins, so I am eternally blinded.
         Most of the exposition is about Sophie doing a make-up routine and saying, "I'm good, pretty and pure. I hope to be chosen to attend the School for Good. I'll do a 'good deed' to insure I get in. I'll show kindness to the town weirdo! I'll act nice, but I have ulterior motives. OMG, YOU HIDEOUS BOY! GET YOUR FILTHY HANDS OFF MY SILKY DRAWERS! I have to look good for my prince." So superficial... Then, we have Agatha. I pitied her and was annoyed by her. She was refreshing compared to Sophie. It was wonderful to read about someone who rejects superficial things and mocks the people who do. However, she was quite hopeless. She's trying to help Sophie but Sophie ignores her "help" and starts to whine like a little bitch. She continues to attempt helping someone that doesn't want her help. It's such a one sided, obnoxious friendship. *rolls eyes and dozes off thinking about it*
         It was not fun reading this book. The writing was boring. I read this in the afternoon, had enough of it and took a nap. I read this book before I went to sleep. This is one of those books that help you sleep. If you're suffering with insomnia or you're rolling in your bed thinking about life, read this book. It sucks the happiness and life out of you like a dementor. HOLY CRAP, this book is a frigging dementor.
         Now to the reason why it's a parody of good and evil. The setting and the attributes of Good & Evil were so cliche. Good was in this crystal tower with spires all bright and shiny, along with gumdrops and words of encouragement. Evil was a disgusting, run-down, dangerous place with a moat and a vermin infestation. The author stoops to the stereotypes of good and evil and tries so hard. It felt forced and exaggerated. Why do "good people" always have to be "pretty" and "evil people" always have to be "ugly"? I appreciate how Agatha and Sophie were the exception, but that's just one case!
         All in all, this book felt like that Spice Girl song about how friendship trumps love and all that other bs.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry to see you didn't like this one! I had been hearing some pretty good things. :/
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete