Cape May



Cape May by Holly Caster
Needs a Goodreads page and publishing information.
     New Yorker Joanna Matthews is rapidly approaching 60 and desperate for a change. The last remotely daring thing she did-jumping into an unconventional marriage with her best friend Brian-happened 20 years ago. Now, their life’s comfortable, if routine. Joanna craves more and begins pursuing her long-deferred dream: owning and running a bed & breakfast. She’s captivated by Cape May, New Jersey, America's Oldest Seaside Resort. On the bus south, she meets a novelist, and is thunderstruck when she falls passionately in love for the first time. How will her late awakening affect the future and her three-decade relationship with Brian?
      The unofficial/semi sequel to Love, Rosie. The beginning of this book was similar to where Love, Rosie ended, but with new characters, a new setting and a whole new story-basically a new story, I don't know why I made that comparison. This book was also The Fault in Our Stars, without cancer and with older characters for an older audience.
      I thought this book was okay. The writing was okay. It was mature and very plain. It had this essay writing like connotation. It had a nice flow, but it wasn't eye catching. It didn't grasp my attention or make me turn pages at the speed of light. I didn't read this book. I sped through it and glossed over the pages.
      The author really specifies on details to the point of being overly detailed. You can describe things in detail, but still keep it brief-the author did not do that. There was too much detail.


"These sheets, eighteen-thousand thread count..."

      It sounds pretentious.
      I had a problem with the characters' age. I understand that no matter what age you are, you can do whatever you want and all that jazz, but the personalities of the characters did not fit their age. It's not age appropriate. If the characters were in their late 30's or mid 40's that would have been better.

2 comments:

  1. It seems like this was a decent book but like sometimes it was a bit like they were trying too hard with so much description that the book only ended out being okay. At least it was a decent read!

    My recent post: http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/2015/09/life-update-paris-trip-and-summer-is.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking the time to read my book, Vivien. FYI, I've never heard of Love, Rose, but perhaps now I'll give it a read! Thanks! Holly

    ReplyDelete