Trilogies

          I hate trilogies and they hate me. We have a great relationship. Most books that are trilogies are usually either a sandwich (1st book is good, 2nd is shit under my feet, and 3rd ties the series up well), a Titanic (It started out good, but it became a disaster in the end), or it was cow manure (no matter what you did, it still stank.)
          A sandwich for me was the Hex Hall series by Rachel Hawkins. The first book got me pumped, the 2nd made me really angry, and the third even though it made me angry because someone got Mason'd was a good wrap up to the series. Team Good wins, yet again. It was very predictable.
          A Titanic would be Unearthly the series by Cynthia Hand. I really liked the first book. But, after another Mason-ing, I got sad. What made it worse was that her brother's name is Jeffrey. No bueno.... Jeffrey is a dick. In real life and in the book. I hope he doesn't see this... The middle was really weird and Clara's purpose wasn't exactly clear. It might be because I don't recall this book, or the events distracted it. Like midi-chlorians, mentioned once, but never again.
          Cow Manure... did you know you can use cow manure to create a fun, toy explosive with a firecracker? My parents did that as kids... The trilogy would be Firelight by Sophie Jordan. I thought the first book was pretty interesting, but the writing became shoddier. I was bored out of my mind, so I skimmed the last book. It would have been a DNF, but I went Black Friday shopping and needed something to keep me occupied. 

4 comments:

  1. HAHAHA!! A sandwich, Titanic, and cow manure! You are so funny, Vivien! I'd like to read Hex Hall. I can deal with a sandwich trilogy. (:

    Pearl @ AsteriskPearl's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! Hex Hall was an okay trilogy. The beginning didn't have much. The second book is really annoying. The third has a nice tie-up, even though a Mason-ing happened.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I actually had trouble coming up with the last one.

      Delete